PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
What's missing? I noticed a bar was missing unless this is older/newer version. I don't know what its called though. Been trying to find a schematic that doesn't blur out when I zoom in. Can just the bar replaced or do I need a whole new assembly? Thanks

s-l400.jpg

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Dunhill vs DuPont, if you had to choose 1? I know Duponts are harder to work on. Fakes are a pain if you're not careful. Any other reasons?

I found some fake DuPonts, Kuboy, Nibo(maybe real lighter co. just Dupontish), Dikong, and Some with no names. Also found one called Broad. Not really a copy of anything. Nice looking. Not sure of Quality.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
What lighter/matches/? would you choose if the only criteria was you only had to choose the best, according to you? Forget money. This is about quality, reliability, the ability to maintain it. Parts availability, can the hardware store provide you with bits and pieces to keep it going? Knowing that it will do the job when its needed. As long as you remembered to fill it. Something you know will last as long as your well maintained pipe, as long as its cared for in the same manner. Or is that too much to expect from a lighter?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
IM Corona Old Boy.
Zippo regular (no center hole)
Matches from good restaurants (being neither too big nor small, and free if you can find them,)

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’ve had the zippo for about thirty years lighting my roll-ups (Samson), the Dunhill was a gift and although I appreciate the workmanship it’s temperamental and I never use it. The one on the left is a Benlow “motorist” original, the one in front is a Chinese copy by Dolphin image.jpgand my go to lighter for my pipe, I love it, (eBay £16). The other two are Benlow Golmet from the ‘30’s or 40’s. I really like Art Deco design.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Bic, or matches for me. I’m way to absent-minded to keep track of a fancy lighter...but they are nice.

I have a few Zippos, but they’re just too finicky for me. Filling, flints, wicks...always just went back to the cheap 5 pack of Bics once or twice a year and some matches stashed about.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Bic, or matches for me. I’m way to absent-minded to keep track of a fancy lighter...but they are nice.

I have a few Zippos, but they’re just too finicky for me. Filling, flints, wicks...always just went back to the cheap 5 pack of Bics once or twice a year and some matches stashed about.
Let’s face it they’re all you need. Everything else is just fluff. I just happen to like fluff. That said some of my pipes don’t like lighters and require a match to get them going.

Status
Not open for further replies.