PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
I've been using the Imco pipe lighter for the past few years and it's stood up great with just replacing flints and refilling with butane, it's a great cheap lighter. I also use the Zippo lighter with the pipe insert on windier days. Both keep the costs down to support more tobacco buys.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Was it you who started this thread in the first place? :)

Quite a coincidence: I've just bought a couple of BIC J6/Maxis too. I plan to make some flights and the "disposable" lighters tend to turn a bit less heads.

Reactions: MrTom

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
Was it you who started this thread in the first place? :)

Quite a coincidence: I've just bought a couple of BIC J6/Maxis too. I plan to make some flights and the "disposable" lighters tend to turn a bit less heads.
Yes it was, I've gone full circle back to BIC's, I was messing with a brass tube around the flame, to stop it burning my thumb, work in progress..??

Reactions: vates

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
I've been using a pinstripe Kritibi Kabuto that I received earlier last month. It's been great, but I just ordered one of those Chinese ST Duponts which seem to be quality (surprisingly). I'll probably be using that concurrently with the Kabuto.

Reactions: dcon and MrTom

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
Two new soft flame refillable Clipper lighters with removable rubber sleeves. The Clippers are far superior to BIC Maxi's, they are refillable with replaceable flints (I think), unlike the BIC's & the spark wheel is much gentler on the thumb with no burns, unlike the BIC's & a pipe of course.
IMG_20200205_164912199~2.jpg

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
An update on my 2 ST Dupont Chinese clones after several months use, they need refilling almost every day with regular use, I presume either, because they have a small tank or they leak a little. But nice looking and good working lighters when pipe smoking socially. Good buys.
IMG_20200205_165723700~2.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
An update on the WAY torch lighter after several months use. A huge fierce torch that can light a pipe in almost any stormy weather & less than $10. Sometimes can take a few presses to get it to light, holds a lot of gas and can last for a long time, no need for flints. A good all weather lunting pipe, a companion for light weather Clipper Jet lighters.
IMG_20200205_170801118~2.jpg

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
1. zippo with a pipe insert
2. another zippo with a pipe insert
3. zippo without a pipe insert
4. bic
5. whatever someone else has and is prepared to let me borrow when 1-4 are not available or working

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
been playing with zippo, kiribi and bic for few days. i know i used to use zippo when i started pipe smoking. this ended when i got fed up with refuel. got kiribi, but never really used it. it felt overkill. but this post and others had me wondering if bic was the best option. after playing with above available options, i'm pretty sure, at least for my purpose, bic is the best option. other than the refuel, i get best control of the location where i want the flame. the fact that my thumb and index finger is right at the flame, i can move it around better than other lighters. i'm sure with further use, i could do the same with zippo and kiribi, but it seems, for me at least, bic can do what others try to do at fraction of cost and readily available everywhere.

Reactions: MrTom and vates

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
5. whatever someone else has and is prepared to let me borrow when 1-4 are not available or working
LoL! I had a guy pass me a torch after a few clicks the other night at Churchill's Cigar lounge in PHX before I had even thought about asking for a light. ?

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
An update on my 2 ST Dupont Chinese clones after several months use, they need refilling almost every day with regular use, I presume either, because they have a small tank or they leak a little. But nice looking and good working lighters when pipe smoking socially. Good buys.
View attachment 18313
I have been using mine for a few months and they work ver very well. I love the fit and finish. Fuel for me lasts weeks, bu I only have one bowl per day, and not necessarily everyday. I also switch up between two of these and a Kiribi.

I am glad yours is working out well, but surprised they need such quick refilling.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
An update on my 2 ST Dupont Chinese clones after several months use, they need refilling almost every day with regular use, I presume either, because they have a small tank or they leak a little.

There's also a possibility that you may want to fully empty them before filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.