Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm working on a lighter collection. I have:

Xikar Pipe Lighter
Vector Pipe Lighter
Zippo pipe lighters (2)
Nimrod
Old Boy knockoff by Maruman
Morisk Permanent Match (My current favorite)
PermMatch1.jpg
PermMatch3.jpg

And I saw a WWI Army & Navy Lighter at an antique mall yesterday and tagged as an "authentic WWI Lighter in original wood box."
I had to explain to them that:
1. Barcodes weren't patented and used before 1951.
2. Authentic Army & Navy WWI Lighters were not made in China.
3. The label says reproduction.

They sold it to me for $10.
IMG_0686.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And I saw a WWI Army & Navy Lighter at an antique mall yesterday and tagged as an "authentic WWI Lighter in original wood box."
I had to explain to them that:
1. Barcodes weren't patented and used before 1951.
2. Authentic Army & Navy WWI Lighters were not made in China.
3. The label says reproduction.

They sold it to me for $10.

I love this.

What was the original asking price?

How does it work for you? (if you are going to use it )

From your photo I also note the lack of patina on a 100 year old brass item.....

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Bic all the way. Cheap, 0 maintenance, available everywhere, perfect flame size for a pipe, and I don't notice any taste/smell from the butane.

I've tried to like Zippos because there are some very cool ones out there, but the smell bugs me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Somewhere on this thread, probably 186 posts back, I noted that I like wooden matches for most lights. Lighters are fun gadgets, and some years ago, a member sent me a nifty lighter with my Navy ship, MSO 489, engraved on it, and I enjoy that one. But day to day, I like Diamond brand matches, and often the little metal matchbox case my wife gave me. I like the very soft flame, the control, the minimal upkeep, the scraping and hissing of the match lighting, the slight sulfur smell, and the wisp of smoke, as part of the smoking ritual. Our cats seem interested in that process too, which relates to my honorary membership in their species.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You hit the nail, Tom. We all seem to like some sensory effect from our chosen method. Then filtered by some brain activity in many cases.

I'll use almost anything to light my tobacco, with kitchen matches being the last chosen. Why? I don't like the smell, and it uses too little of the wood, so a lot is wasted.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
As I always lose expensive lighters (like gloves and sunglasses), I use the Dan Pipe Sidekick.

Cheap, easy to refill - perfect!

Reactions: vates

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have a 20 year history with lighters, expensive ones, cheap ones, fancy ones, simple ones ... almost all of them crappy. My latest disappointment was the IM Corona old boy petite, it just started loosing flame without a particular reason, sent it in for repairs in april, still don't have an answer. I settled to two most used for pipes, the classic xikar angled shape, and the old fashined IMCO lighter (very reliable, I praise it above the zippos). Same goes for cigar, after running through colibris, xikars, even ST Dupont (which are nice lighters but really high maintenance) I settled for the zippo with the double jet insert. Easy to upkeep, large fuel tank, lights on a the first strike.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting. While only with five years of lighters since I retook up pipe smoking, I've had the opposite experience.

None of the above have given me problems, at least not serious ones. Keeping it clean, purging the tank, good fuel, not dropping it is all I do.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Back after a week without power due to Hurricane Sally. Ugh. Anway...

I've had mixed results with refillable, "nice" lighters. Usually due to excessive leaking or evaporation of fuel. But I love how they feel in hand and how their romanticized imagery invokes a bygone era.

Inexpensive Bics keep on ticking. But they 'feel' cheap and maybe deep in my subconsciousness it lessens the smoking experience...like a 20 year old scotch in a red solo cup.

But it still TASTES good! I don't know if it matters. Do what makes you happy!

Flame, tobacco, puff, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.