PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

onemangang

Might Stick Around
May 20, 2011
If I am out and about a Zippo with a pipe insert. If I'm sitting on my porch, kitchen matches.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
When I'm out and about, it's a Bic. When I'm home, it's matches. I do have a pipe lighter, but it isn't always friendly.

toehead

Lurker
Jun 8, 2011
I'm dying to get the Old Boy but can't seem to pull the hammer on a $100 lighter. So I will keep my cheap butane lighter until I finally just buy it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I was using a Zippo almost exclusively. Then a friend sent me two Imco 77 in a trade. Can't get them around here. Still use the Zippo outside,nothing beats a Zippo outside IMHO. Inside I use the Imco,it seems easier to get my pipe well lit with it.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Ditto on the Old Boy. Extremely durable and it isn't a fuel hog.
Hobie, I have a Lotus 11. It too is a good lighter. I love that it is so easy to adjust the flame on it, however, it is definitely a fuel hog. Seems I have to refill it twice as often as the Old Boy, but I only use it MAYBE 1/3 as frequently. It does, however, seem to be a bit less likely to blow out in a breeze (probably cause it's burning sooo much fuel)!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Hobie, I have a Lotus 11. It too is a good lighter. I love that it is so easy to adjust the flame on it, however, it is definitely a fuel hog. Seems I have to refill it twice as often as the Old Boy, but I only use it MAYBE 1/3 as frequently
Thanks and this brings up more input from you guys....which lighter is the most thrifty on fuel? I keep hearing about guys re-filling their zippo every 3-4 days, that seems crazy to me. :crazy:

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
ive only used matches for the past few months. other than matches, ive only used cheap bic's.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Zippo "White House" with a Vector butane insert.

Bush gave it to Gov Ehrlich from Maryland. He donated it to a Republican party fundraiser and I won it at a raffle. I bought 20, $1 chances, crumpled each on up, than unwrapped before dropping into the bowl, yep that won it. Another pipe smoker was in attendance but only put in 1, $1 ticket. He still gives me hell about "stealing" his White House lighter....

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
grandpaws.jpg

this is my grandfathers lighter we bought it for him back in the 70's i dont use it all the time but it is my favorite the name on the bottom sez thoro-lite pat pend

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I use strike-anywhere kitchen size matches in the house.
When driving or travelling, I really like my Corona Pipe Magie that I got from Lighters Direct. Here's a picture link:

http://www.lightersdirect.com/IM_Corona.605/Pipe_Magie.556/Pipe_Magie_Chrome_Horizontal.10557.html?osCsid=fac169f43866397e600304f50b17ba05]
It has a 90-degree flame and has no knobs or things sticking out to hang up in your pocket.
I got it to replace my favorite lighter that I lost, a Japanese-made Prince Lotus that was shaped like a pipe tamper, with a miniature Old Boy type fitment on the top. I never found one again. :crying:

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
As to a favorite, I am on the fence between Old Boys and Dupont. Like them both, but actually I mostly use Old Boys and carry a Dupont as a backup for when the old boy runs out of fuel.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I have two lighters that are worthy of mention. The Im Corona is my favorite. It was a gift from an old friend and has never failed me. This is my Sunday Lighter...all dressed up and fancy. For more casual situations, I have a Xikar Old Boy; A wonderfully designed lighter that will go two weeks between refills.

Status
Not open for further replies.