What is the Stupidest Thing You Have Done with Firecrackers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I was an Artilleryman during quite a few 4th of Julys. The U.S. Army Artillery has (or had back in the 70's) access ro some incredible stuff. We had a good time with the most explosive and awesome fireworks not available to civilians.

Reactions: Charlie718

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Yeah saw that also. For some reason he left the safety of the tub and ran. I hope my whits would have allowed me to simply sink into the water. Of course the article omitted the type of explosive.
The later article says he was hit in the chest by a mortar.

845AF5B1-0023-4B08-A14F-1CE62F279A37.jpeg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm guessing here, based on long experience with similar incidents, that plenty of alcohol was being imbibed. The person who touched off the explosive should probably be charged. None of which will be a help to his survivors.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
I grew up in Baltimore and nothing beyond sparklers was legal. My parents always obey the law, so we had sparklers.

Later, in the army, I have a hazy, drunken memory of 5 or 6 of us in the back of a Ranger pickup with a cooler full of cold ones, Driving from Tybee Island, Georgia back to Fort Stewart, firing Roman candles into cow fields as we zipped along.

Or, maybe I dreamed it....

View attachment 87146
Buddy of mine (who was also stationed at Fort Stewart for a while) was stationed in Vilseck back in the late 90s. One night he and some of the fellas went to some nightclub in Nuremberg and halfway into the evening a drunk PFC unzipped his jacket, flashed the top of a smoke grenade and snickered and said, "Hey Sarge, I'm gonna chuck this and freak everyone out." My buddy says NOPE nope nope you're gonna hand that over and we're gonna pretend this never happened for both our sakes." *grumble grumble* Hokay Sarge.

Well a few hours and several steins of Oktoberfest later, my buddy reaches into his jacket for some cigarettes, feels that grenade and says hrmmmm.

Spent the remainder of the evening as a guest of the Nuremberg Polizei, was busted back to private and was put on an Interpol terrorist watch list, no shit.

Hilarious story tho...

• Wow
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Oh many stupid things, mostly blowing up fruit, toys etc. The two most stupid things I've done was a) step on a firecracker a friend of mine threw at me, it was a very small one - bird scare they call them over here - it threw me back and hurt like hell, but no injury, b) hitting a fireracker with a hammer. Thankfully the hammer flew back past my face, rather than in it. Never touched a firecracker since.

Status
Not open for further replies.