What Is the Single Most Special Blend, or Tin, in Your Stash?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have several tins of 2001 Three Nuns and Murray's Dunhill Navy Rolls. I could include a few other tins as well.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
A few years back I ordered a pipe from Smokers' Haven and also threw in a 2 oz. tin of Exotique to try out. When the package came there was no tin, but a zip lock bag and a note. They had run out of tins but sent me 4 oz. of bulk. Incredibly nice gesture. It's also one of the best blends I've ever smoked. Managed to snag 10 tins a year later. I'm still working my way through that bulk and think about Premal each time I smoke a bowl. Hope he can keep things going.

Mar 29, 2016
Balkan Sobranie The Original Mixture 200 grams can, The Balkan Sobranie Virginian No.10. Dunhill Durbar made by Murray's.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have been trying to acquire any of the blends that I missed out on when I started to smoke a pipe back in the Seventies. I currently have a tin of the original Craven's mixture, one of MacBaren's Royal Twist and a tin of Rattray's Seven Reserve that dates to when they were still made in Scotland.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
1983 McCranie's red flake was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked, so it holds a special place in my heart.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
The tins of McClelland Navy Cavendish I was able to put away before McClelland slipped past the event horizon.
Xmas Cheer and 40th Anniversary were always special smokes to me, and for my rate of smoking I have plenty of both for my personal use for quite a long time. NC, however, was and is a regular rotational favorite, and I was able to get just enough that I should be good for many years, even though I’ll have to slow it down just a bit. So...does anyone have any NC they wanna sell or trade? ;)

Jun 9, 2018
England
Mine is a 40 year old tin of Erinmore flake, the reasons are it's easily the oldest tin I have, it is the most expensive tin I own, it was a birthday present from my mum and lastly from what I could find out about Erinmore from around that time it has a quite different flavour to the modern iteration, I just pray to all that is holy that come Christmas when I put the coin in the groove & twist it that I get a lovely solid ffft sound.

Chris.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So many to choose from, though I'm not a tobacco gourmand. Right now I'm really enjoying C&D Bayou Night among others in rotation.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Smudger, if that's true (formulation change), I hope you get the pfft too; Erinmore from that era was really good. Between that, MB Navy Flake, & Royal Twist, I could live quite happily (as long as I stayed iggernt [sic, extremely] of the better Englishes & dark aromatics of the time! -laugh-)
BTW (since Firefox opened here for once instead of the new member venue), welcome to the forums! We're a happy, occasionally grumpy, often unbalanced, but always opinionated crew! You'll figure out who the (rest of) the crazies are soon enough. Trust anything warren, jpm, or mso tell you -- they're among the more serious. And if you see something from jaytex, chasingembers, or me, just keep in mind we're mostly harmless & they let us out on weekends. :)
Bill

Jun 9, 2018
England
Bill thank you for the warm welcome you are most kind, as for the formulation change of Erinmore that's what I read somewhere, I think it was more stronger tasting with a different casing to what we have today, to be honest when I got it I thought it would be the same as todays just with plenty of age on top, but from my digging I discovered that it had been 'toned down' at some point in the past I believe when Murrays still made it, one guy described the old stuff as smelling like a turkish cathouse! Another description of the topping was 'funky' so to be honest I have no idea what to expect when I do open the tin. If the tin is airtight I pray that I like the smell & taste as with P&P it was in the £40 range which is a lot for a single tin and it is was gift to boot so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that come Christmas it all turns out well and I actually enjoy the bloody stuff.

Chris.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’d have to say that my most special tin is a 2007 McClelland Christmas Cheer. I’m saving it for when my sons are of piping age to enjoy with them. So it will stay put until 2024, God willing.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Most welcome, Chris! "one guy described the old stuff as smelling like a turkish cathouse" -- Well, some people just have sahhnnn-si-tivve noses, I guess. :lol: Me, I liked it, but I've always preferred strongly flavored blends.
A lot, & I mean a LOT, of makers have either reformulated their blends for whatever reasons over the years, or sold the brands & the new owners did it. Classic case, of course, is the fabulous old tobacco called Three Nuns. If you haven't ready it, site boss Kevin did an excellent piece on it a few years ago. Rather than spoil it for you I'll just give you the link; if you've already seen it, please forgive me. :) I hate telling people stuff they already know -- wastes my time, their time, *&* insults their intelligence. }:)
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/kevins-blog/three-nuns-the-shrieks-of-no-perique/

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
All my special stuff has arrived as gifts from fellow posters. Some generous folks have over the years sent Strang, 3 year old Fvf, Stonehaven and even a 9 year old tin of 1792. As far as Ikm concerned, the generosity of strangers has made each of these special tobaccos even more meaningful.
Beyond that, my most prized tins are my now empty McClellands cans which I keep in hopes that one day they may magically refill.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Sable, I'd love to try Savinelli Doblone D'oro but as far as I'm aware you can't get it in the UK, if this is the case that means buying from abroad which with import duty & postage can work out a little on the pricey side. I am planning to do another order from America when the funds allow, the trouble is I've spent all my reserves on Dunhill Dark Flake & Warrior Plug as they both look like going the way of the dodo, but when I do manage to save up I will definitely keep that one in mind as it does look right up my alley.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.