What Is the Single Most Special Blend, or Tin, in Your Stash?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I have an old 1940's cutter top tin of my all-time favorite tobacco, Dunhill London made Royal Yacht. I fess up to the fact that I smoked all the tobacco in a matter of weeks but I did keep the tin. Does that count? :(
Pipestud
Savage :) barbaric ...

This had to go to a museum :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's been a long while since I've bought a 'tin' of anything. I smoke bagged bulks, but I do have a few on the shelf that I know taste great when fresh and will improve with the age my resistance to opening them affords.

In order of preference they are:

1. Rattray's Marlin Flake

2. GLP's JackKnife Plug

3. Escudo

I've got at least 2 years on all of these, more like 3.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Jesse those wound up in Dan's hands and the best of the batch were fed to Jim Inks during the War Horse Bar blending process. These ones have never been allowed near Dan and are stored in a airtight plastic humidor in a glass curio cabinet next to a pile of 'cutty' pipes in my front room!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Every tin of Royal Yacht is special to me, but the tins people have gifted to me have been the favorites over the years.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I almost forgot about my 8 oz jar of Steven Books’ very own Seven of Nine. It’s a very nice blend of straight Virginias. I got that from him at his store, House of Calabash in Oregon City in 2012. I love that blend and it reminds me of all the times I spent chatting with him in his shop. He was always very welcoming and we always lit up a pipe and just enjoyed each others company, I could spend the whole day there. He was a great man and an excellent blender. I always smoke that blend in his honor, may he rest in peace.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
No longer in production:

Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake - about 4 years ago I found in a local B&M a few tins which already had several years of age; most delicious.
Compton's of Galashiels Macedonian Mixture

Compton's of Galashiels Balkan
Tambolaka
Each smoked very slowly in small pipes on very special occasions.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Bourbon Blend acquired from Ed James. Have a few other irreplaceable and well aged/dear to me blends but this was obtained during my last transaction with Ed. Had filled a bag for him after opening, it was never sent. Tastes great, I smoke a little on occasion and have given a few samples out to those who appreciate it.
20171231_233005-600x337.jpg

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I've been nursing a tin of Balkan Sobranie 759, that I bought in the mid 60s. I have nearly an ounce left, that has the consistency of coffee grounds. I need to put a small pinch of Blue Mountain at the bottom of the bowl, so I don't get just dust through the stem. The few times a year that I have a pinch or two, the stuff tastes great; quite a bit mellower, but the smell and taste are the same as when I cut open the tin. I'll be very sad when it's gone. But, I have a nice stash of Samovar to help me pull through.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It’s a toss-up between some GH&C Bob’s Square Cut from pre-1990, and Omar’s Hawk, a personal blend from 2000 that I had tinned up by an up and coming blender savant.

Omar was my German Shepherd who alway scanned the sky for hawks. One time he actually caught a wandering Emu. He liked big birds!!

tnfan

Lifer
Jan 9, 2012
Franklin, Tennessee
4 tins 3Oaks Syrian 2010

1 tin 3Oaks 2011

Christmas Cheer 100g - 1 7/00

Christmas Cheer 100g - 1 7/10

Christmas Cheer 100g - 1 7/11

Christmas Cheer 100g - 3 7/12
At my age (71) I probably need to start smoking these soon! :)

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I walked into a B&M during the McClelland rush looking for Cheer and Aniversary (being a McClelland lover since my early smoking days) and I found tins of Rich Virginia Ribbon...it always seemed to disappear when I went looking for it. RVR was on my buy list for a long time but never to be found. Even has some age on it, really looking forward to smoking some .

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
On my first trip to NYC a few years ago with my wife (and friends) she accompanied me to the Nat Sherman townhouse after a few drinks (she normally frowns upon smoking). We had a great time there. I love the history of the place and we picked out cigars for our group. When I got to the checkout I noticed their pipe tins and chose that one. It was more expensive than I was used to paying but totally worth it. I know it's going to age very well and it just reminds me of the great memories I had in NY on that trip. I was also extremely new to cigars back then and my friends and I smoked them that night drunk as a skunk. I found out the next morning my idiot best friend had inhaled the whole stick... Anyways, good times!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
For me it is McClelland 40th Anniversary.
When this blend was introduced, I had been smoking and cellaring for a few years and I was finally at the point that I knew good when I tasted it. This blend was good (great). So I stocked up right from the first release with no regret. Then, a few months later, McClelland was gone and 40th was urban legend. During that time I had no panic and was able to sit back and relax. So it's my single most special blend because it reminds of how far I had come from the early days of jumping on every blend mentioned on line.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I've got an 8oz Bufflehead sealed can of McClelland's 5100 Red Cake from 2004. Of all the tobacco in my possession, none of them are sealed in a way, like this one, that could probably age unspoiled for a century. Now we'll just have to see how long it stays locked away...

herrpfeifen

Lurker
Feb 28, 2018
Well, it would have been my last tin of Raven's Wing, but I opened that a few months ago and it's half gone now.
Home (Florida) for the holidays in 1997 I opened a tin of Christmas Cheer that I'd bought because of the name and maybe a favorable mention or review in P&T magazine. Come to think of it, it may have been the first straight VA I'd tried. It was startlingly good, sweet with some spicy, citrusy elements, and I bought two more tins to keep. I guess that was the beginning of my cellar/hoard because I still have those tins. There are some very small rust spots on the bottoms but they are both nice and puffy. I'm going to crack the rustier one as soon as I smoke through the tin of Boston 1776 I have open.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Two 8oz tins of Bohemian Scandal i bought when I first started the pipe.. around '05 or so. I was stopping in every pipe shop i saw back then the wife was in Clarksburg for a reunion i stumbled into an old store front and bought them on the owners recommendation. Smoked one and saved the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.