PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Gotta agree with @Paul here. The price difference between Castellos state-side vs Europe is crazy.
I just picked up a 55 "castello" 4k from Italy. With shipping it was more than $100 less than SP has a 55 "castello" 2k listed for. Ordered it late in the afternoon on Thursday and it arrived this morning.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

darkskies3

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Well, I think I'm qualified to put it my 2 cents in to the subject on hand. Firstly, Castello Pipes are great. PERIOD. ? Now the reason why. They smoke amazing from the gecko. There's no breakin period for Castello pipes compared to any factory pipes such as Savinellis. Castellos are lighter in spite of its size. In the past I've accumulated 9 Altinay Meershuam pipes, 7 Missouri Meershuam pipes, 2 Savinellis, 1 Rattrays, 1 Commoys, 2 BBB pipes, 1 Boswell (which is Garbage imho, worse pipe i own) 1 Blue Bird pipe, and 1 1985 Dunhill Prince rusticated. And I can tell you Imho that no pipe I own can smoke better than my Castellos. Tobacco taste awesome in my Castellos. I never thought pipe tobacco can taste so good in a factory pipe or a hand carved Meershuam until i smoked it in a Castello pipe. You may wonder, mabey its a one off. Well i now have 10 Castellos and everyone of them smokes amazing for the start. If you're on the fence with getting a Castello, take the plunge and buy one.

Attachments

• 20200301_172643.jpg
    20200301_172643.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200301_172721.jpg
    20200301_172721.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 31

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I just read all the post in this discussion and probably have more questions than answers about Castello pipes. I now have one and was excited to get it as its a Castello Sea Rock Briar kkk (in an oval) with the Pi finish. At least, I think that's what the π symbol stamped on it means. It is a lovely pipe and easily passes a pipe cleaner. It smokes better than some pipes in my collection and as good as some others. For the record, I like it better than my 1926 Dunhill and the Dunhill Red Bark I have. I find it smokes as good as my Ardor and my two Rinaldos.

That being said, who is the most knowledgeable Castello person on the forum?

CastelloSeaRock.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I would call it a shape 15. The small k's generally indicate size but any Castello grading is very inconsistent. I'd say he added the Pi for the "finger grip" on the bowl and the smooth shank. With the white bar and lack of a dealer mark I'd say it was made post 1997. Enjoy! ?

Reactions: Jshogan2

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I can only confirm, have a Castellos smoke amazing, starting with the first smoke. No break in period required.
Pipes are also pretty light.

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
Castellos are one of the best factory made pipes of today.

It's a well known histiric brand, and one of the few high ends that keep producing in the same old factory, with the same philosophy, and the same (if not better quality) as in the past.

Also the factory looks more of an artisan's labor than a serial producing factory.

And the always pass a cleaner! :)

Bigdadz

Lurker
Dec 7, 2020
Montreal
I only recently took the plunge with Castello pipes to add to my collection.

I must say I am very impressed with the fit and finish and I really like that open draw. So far they have all been great smokers.

I had to sell quite a few pipes to fund these purchases, but I have no regrets. I foresee Castello dominating my pipe collection.

Reactions: Papamique

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
3 things keep me from buying a Costello. 1 Price. 2 They dont make a design/shape that I like. 3 No option for a vulcanite stem.

Again, I'll mention a blindfolded smoking test. See if people can pick out a Castello from other brands of pipes. It'd be great at a pipe show, but it'll never happen. Why? It'd be a massive failure.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Haven't weighed in here yet, but an interesting five page thread I've missed to this point!

As mentioned, my plus/minuses are:
- clunky buttons. My last Collection grade bulldog had a HUGE button, that looked like an abnormal growth compared to my similar era Dunhill (but easy to fix).
- Most are too big, particularly those sold here. Us 'mericans apparently like things big, like 4k and GG size Castellos', so that is what stateside retailers sell. I'm probably odd-man out here.
+ Lochinvar mentioned it earlier - they smoke "brighter" than my English brands, its hard to describe, has to be experienced.
+ They are the only Acrylic stemmed pipe that I could keep. I do get some satisfaction in clenching them tightly, knowing I won't do any harm.

Tabaccheria is a great place to find a unique Castello, particuarly if you seek a smaller size. I snagged this 2k Sea Rock and she is a keeper. My other a brilliant Occhio di Pernice shape 55, what else is a 55 but funky, right?

My 65 definitely has the "Italian" shape. I wonder where they get that aesthetic?

1607998582702.png
(that badass Italian is "Petrizia" from the Italian mob show "Gomorrah")

Castello_65_Sea_Rock_KK_Gallery.JPG

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
3 things keep me from buying a Costello. 1 Price. 2 They dont make a design/shape that I like. 3 No option for a vulcanite stem.

Again, I'll mention a blindfolded smoking test. See if people can pick out a Castello from other brands of pipes. It'd be great at a pipe show, but it'll never happen. Why? It'd be a massive failure.

Why would it be a massive failure? I've had Peterson, Stanwell, Savinelli, Bjarne, Kaywoodie, Dunhill, Sasieni, Mastro de Paja, Ser Jacopo, Ardor etc over the last 20 years. Castellos kick the shit out of these pipes imho. I could pick out a Castello immediately for any number of reasons. Savinelli briar tastes like ass. Ser Jacopo stems are sharp. Petersons gurgle... I can buy whatever I want, there's no mystique here, no snake oil. These pipes work, perfect, right out of the box. No excuses, no "oh give it 30 smokes and that'll go away" bullshit.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
What is so great about Castellos? My god man! It's obvious!

First it's the....then it's....and you can't forget that they....and finally, they....!

Well, there you go man, that's what's so good about Castellos. You match everything I just pointed out about them with their outrageously high price point, And what you have there is a great pipe!

And of course everyone would agree I'm sure that the only other pipe worth more in quality and value is a Dunhill.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012

First it's the....then it's....and you can't forget that they....and finally, they....!

Well, there you go man, that's what's so good about Castellos. You match everything I just pointed out about them with their outrageously high price point, And what you have there is a great pipe!

And of course everyone would agree I'm sure that the only other pipe worth more in quality and value is a Dunhill.
How is their price point outrageously high? Last one came to my door from Italy, under 300 bucks all in. I do care about the stuff I just listed, I don't enjoy sharp edges on stems, for example. That's part of the smoking experience to me.

Embers I'm sorry you got a gurgler, I guess it can happen with any brand here and there.

The title of the thread is what's so great about Castellos, and it seems like I've surprised people by trying to answer that, as a person who has kind of slowly switched over to mostly smoking those. I apologize.

Reactions: Casual and Jshogan2

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
How is their price point outrageously high? Last one came to my door from Italy, under 300 bucks all in. I do care about the stuff I just listed, I don't enjoy sharp edges on stems, for example. That's part of the smoking experience to me.

Embers I'm sorry you got a gurgler, I guess it can happen with any brand here and there.

The title of the thread is what's so great about Castellos, and it seems like I've surprised people by trying to answer that, as a person who has kind of slowly switched over to mostly smoking those. I apologize.
I completely respect your right to pay too much for a pipe...just like I respect Dunhill owners...it's a free country (arguably)! ;) To be honest with you, all brands make crappy pipes at some point...pipes that are just too highly priced for their own good...Savinelli, Castello, etc., even small guys like Cavicchi put out pipes that are questionably priced (sometimes his CCCC simply are worth the additional $100 from his CCC). I'm not really dedicated to one brand (although I do disproportionately own Savinelli because of the filter) and that's mostly because I try to shop the pipe itself given that consistency is not always guaranteed within a brand if that makes any sense.

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC
I completely respect your right to pay too much for a pipe...just like I respect Dunhill owners...it's a free country (arguably)! ;) To be honest with you, all brands make crappy pipes at some point...pipes that are just too highly priced for their own good...Savinelli, Castello, etc., even small guys like Cavicchi put out pipes that are questionably priced (sometimes his CCCC simply are worth the additional $100 from his CCC). I'm not really dedicated to one brand (although I do disproportionately own Savinelli because of the filter) and that's mostly because I try to shop the pipe itself given that consistency is not always guaranteed within a brand if that makes any sense.

Castellos are actually a phenomenal value if you don't try to pay too much for them.

Also, numbers matter... a lot... when it comes to the collective experience pipesmokers have with a brand and the reputation it builds. Sure, "all brands make crappy pipes at some point," but having 50%+ of your really large production numbers falling on that side of the spectrum in terms of smoking characteristics vs. having 1% or fewer of your medium production numbers fall into the "not optimal" side of things is a sizeable difference for a brand. This is largely what enables brands to set their price points. Yes, there are numerous other factors in luxury goods like pipes (scarcity, the allure of special releases & monikers, etc.), but if you look at a brand like Castello, their work horse series pipes that are blasted or rusticated aren't marked up very much considering how much time each pipe spends in the hands of several artisans.

Confession: I currently own 0 Castello pipes but have had a couple in the past... shaping aesthetics and button thickness ran me off, but WOW did both of those pipes smoke perfectly for me.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas

Exactly this. It’s not like a manufacturer is just going to go and charge 2,3,4x the price of a competitor if their product isn’t objectively 2,3,4x better. No one would ever pay a premium for a name or simply the appearance of luxury and exclusivity.

Reactions: Jshogan2
Status
Not open for further replies.