PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
I just had a sip of Alberta Premium Cask Strength (120 proof) with breakfast. Finally a Canadian Whiskey with some flavour. Still not a bourbon but it’s very nice.

Reactions: Bengel

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Tonight I'll be enjoying Oban's new corny GoT scotch. Good scotch, as always from Oban. Certainly not their best, and I'm a little mad they jumped on the GoT train, but a good offering. Will also be having a little Weihenstephaner 1809 Berliner Weisse, some Saison Dupont, and Sierra Nevada's new harvest wild ale. It's been that kind of week.

Reactions: Bengel
Mar 1, 2014
Have you tried Lot 40 rye? It is the most flavorful Canadian Whiskey I have ever had.
No I haven’t explored Canadian varieties too much, most indications point to them being largely the same so I generally avoid my locally distilled products. Oh and it’s actually 130 proof, definitely feels a bit “whispy“ on the tongue at that level.

Mar 1, 2014
Bulliet Rye still has a lot more barrel flavour in it, the AP Cask is only 2-3 years aged so it’s not going to have a lot of depth, just a lot up front. Or maybe it’s just the shock of drinking 130 proof tricking my tastebuds. An “Experience” either way.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
My wife brought home some different beer for me to try as she often does on Friday. Tonight she brought some offerings from the De Koningshoeven Brewery from the Koningshoeven abbey in the Netherlands. So in addition to German pilsner I am drinking La Trappe Trappist Bockbier and La Trappe Trappist Tripel. I love my wife.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
No I haven’t explored Canadian varieties too much, most indications point to them being largely the same so I generally avoid my locally distilled products. Oh and it’s actually 130 proof, definitely feels a bit “whispy“ on the tongue at that level
I would generally agree with you regarding much of the canadian whiskey out there. A lot of it is distilled to be an easy drinking, lightly flavored spirit. Most of them use a combination of rye, wheat, and corn in various percentages. Lot 40 couldn't be further from that. It is 100% rye and packed with flavor. I'd recommend giving it a shot while it is still affordable. High West, an american brand, also makes some very good rye offerings, A Midwinter Night's Dram being the best of them, although they are pricier, that bottle sells for around $100 here and their flagship rye's are usually $60 or so. I think Lot 40 runs around $50, but in Canada it may be cheaper, IDK. I believe it won "Whiskey of the Year" from some respectable magazine or organization a few years back.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My wife brought home some different beer for me to try as she often does on Friday. Tonight she brought some offerings from the De Koningshoeven Brewery from the Koningshoeven abbey in the Netherlands. So in addition to German pilsner I am drinking La Trappe Trappist Bockbier and La Trappe Trappist Tripel. I love my wife.
I like Konigshoeven's offerings. If you like trappist beer you will enjoy them, their quads are especially good. Also interesting that they are the only trappist brewery outside of Belgium. At least they used to be, not sure what has changed since I last looked into it.

Reactions: kurtbob

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I like Konigshoeven's offerings. If you like trappist beer you will enjoy them, their quads are especially good. Also interesting that they are the only trappist brewery outside of Belgium. At least they used to be, not sure what has changed since I last looked into it.
You know, it's all very close. I'm in Germany but can be in Belgium or Netherlands within a 1.5 hour drive. I've surprised my dutch friends when I tell them a single roadless wildlife refuge where I worked in Alaska is 77,500 square km (Y-K Delta) and it isn't even the largest wildlife refuge in the state. In comparison the size of Netherlands is 41,500 square km and Belgium is 30,700 square km.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You know, it's all very close. I'm in Germany but can be in Belgium or Netherlands within a 1.5 hour drive. I've surprised my dutch friends when I tell them a single roadless wildlife refuge where I worked in Alaska is 77,500 square km (Y-K Delta) and it isn't even the largest wildlife refuge in the state. In comparison the size of Netherlands is 41,500 square km and Belgium is 30,700 square km.

Haha, yeah we aren't short on land that's for sure. The North Slope Borough alone is the least populated "county" in the United States and it is the size of Utah.

The Y-K Delta on the other hand is a cool area, very diverse landscapes and wildlife, I bet it was an awesome place to work.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I was fortunate to work all over Alaska. Y-K was interesting for birds and for the Yupik and Chupik people. I also worked on the Alaska Peninsula/Becharof refuge, out on the Copper River Delta, down in SE Alaska and did a stint commercial fishing out of Kodiak. I spent a bit of time on the road system too. Those were some interesting and remarkable years. But with wanderlust and finding my German wife in Africa, here I am. I do like these German beers that typically get sold in half liter bottles in 20 bottle cases for much cheaper than I'm used to as an American. Prost!
By the way, Germany is about the size of Montana where I also spent a lot of time working in Glacier Park and other places.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I was fortunate to work all over Alaska. Y-K was interesting for birds and for the Yupik and Chupik people. I also worked on the Alaska Peninsula/Becharof refuge, out on the Copper River Delta, down in SE Alaska and did a stint commercial fishing out of Kodiak. I spent a bit of time on the road system too. Those were some interesting and remarkable years. But with wanderlust and finding my German wife in Africa, here I am. I do like these German beers that typically get sold in half liter bottles in 20 bottle cases for much cheaper than I'm used to as an American. Prost!
By the way, Germany is about the size of Montana where I also spent a lot of time working in Glacier Park and other places.
Sounds like you made the rounds in some of the better places. Only made it to Germany once, and I was 15 at the time. Came in through the Netherlands and then went down the Rhine all the way to Switzerland. I loved it then, and am hoping to make it back soon. Maybe for Weihenstephaner's 1000th Anniversary! Hahaha. One of my favorite breweries.

When it comes to beer selection overall, there is probably nowhere better to live than the US, but I sure do wish we had more availability of good German beer. Don't get me wrong, it's ample (lots of weihenstehpaner, ayinger, paulaner, hofbrau, franziskaner, schneider weisse, aecht schlenkerla, bitburger, reisdorff, and several others) but I'd love to get more regional variants. For some reason american breweries just can't, or don't want to, make a good german style wheatbeer. Sierra Nevada's Kellerwies is ok, but most suck ass. And I have no idea why, it is one of the absolute easiest style's of beer to brew. A little wyeast 3068 and you're all set. It's an anomaly for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.