Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It’s a fine, Italian factory pipe that introduces around $100. My first pipe was a Savinelli and I later picked up a 2020 Christmas one too.

They smoke fine, I like the shapes and filter options, the price was right and I appreciate that Laudisi owns both them and Peterson today.
Most of my Savinelli pipes were purchased back in the 70's.

What I see today is a much larger and more diverse line of pipes than Peterson. There are classic shapes and free hand variants such as the Autograph models, filter and non-filter, different finishes, etc.

I can honestly say I have never seen a Sav which was not well drilled, although some of them have an unconscionable number of fills.

I believe Laudisi is the distributor for Savinelli but I'm not aware of any ownership stake. I do think there was a sharp rise in the price of some models when Laudisi took over.

@lraisch is correct—Laudisi took over US distribution of Savinelli in October of 2012 (they are not owners).

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’ve owned Petersons before (though not currently) and their pipes have a design consistency. I know what a Peterson is. It’s a classic. What’s a Savinelli though? I like some old vintage Savinellis I’ve seen floating around but when I look at the current assortment available, I’m a bit perplexed. According to ChatGPT, Sav moves the most pipes and Peterson is #2. I don’t know if that’s true but, anyway, what is a Savinelli these days? What is the appeal?

I have more Savinelli pipes than any other marque I collect by a very wide margin. For me, the appeal is largely the aesthetics—but that could probably be said of any pipe that might interest me to varying degrees; I also appreciate the history of the company (again, that would be a factor for a number of the brands that interest me). That said, there are plenty of shapes in their regular and freehand lines that don’t appeal to me.

Their pipes are available in a wide range of price points—there’s something for everybody, whether you want to spend less than a hundred dollars or several thousand.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
They are the equivalent to C&D tobaccos.
There is a huge variety, they are relatively inexpensive and they are good to great quality.
I have a few, but none newer that probably the late 1980s.
They make all shapes and sizes, all finishes and you generally get what you pay for.
Their lower lines are very good and their upper lines are great.
In my opinion.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Reactions: ThermionicScott

RL Bucktails

Might Stick Around
Apr 23, 2024
Pascack Valley
I’ve owned Petersons before (though not currently) and their pipes have a design consistency. I know what a Peterson is. It’s a classic. What’s a Savinelli though? I like some old vintage Savinellis I’ve seen floating around but when I look at the current assortment available, I’m a bit perplexed. According to ChatGPT, Sav moves the most pipes and Peterson is #2. I don’t know if that’s true but, anyway, what is a Savinelli these days? What is the appeal?
Great quality at a good price

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here is a link to the pipedia.org Website's citation for Savinelli. I hope that you find their information to be helpful.

One of my best smokers is a 30-plus-year-old half-bent billiard Savinelli Oscar Dry (a second, no less, although I do not understand why, as I cannot find any defects) which I use sans the balsa wood filter. This pipe makes vintage Prince Albert sing like no other in my collection, bringing out the nutty flavor of the Burley. Further, unlike the other handful of bents in my collection, it doesn't gurgle with aromatics.

Last edited:
Reactions: cosmicfolklore