What Is a Pipe You Regret Not Purchasing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This Yuwei sandblasted acorn came up on Smoking pipes.com a while ago and before I could pull the trigger it was gone. I was a bit sore about that for a while.

It was right at the top of the price range of what I'm willing to spend on a pipe and I normally need months to think that over and justify it to myself.

I've been lucky that the two artisan pipes I bought flew under the radar for months and gave me time to slowly make the decision.

View attachment 83084
That is a great shape. Bruce Weaver gifted me a smooth one a few years ago when he retired.

687_9812acorn1.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Probably or I am wrong about the date. It was a estate sale on line I found. It was pristine from the Pics, and lots of good pics. They were asking like 595. Or something close to that, under 600. I said no, then not 10 minutes later I thought I’ll never see that again and went to buy and some other bought it. Maybe someone on here. I haven’t seen it posted in the circles I run.
Prices on these have come down a bit. 7-8 years ago they would go for $900 to $1200, sometimes more and rarely less. $600 is a reasonable price if it's in great condition.

Reactions: ChuckMijo

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Working on a small set of rusticated IMPs but no other interests in the foreseeable future.
PXL_20210421_124804175~3.jpg
This is what I have settled on for now. I still have to sell 8 pipes that I no longer care for including an IMP meer that I didn't gel with.

I would add a Danish style billiard if the right one comes along or if I may commission one if I find a suitable cause for celebration to justify it.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Mine was a cased set of 1920s meerschaums on Marty Pulvers' site years ago. One was the last specific pipe I'm after, a shape that was all the rage with the Ivy League students from the early 1900s until the twenties: egg, full bent, square or rectangular shank, saddle stem. Usually (and in this case) with a plain metal band. Very, very small, less than five inches long. Its companion was a straight version, and the stems were swirled yellow Catalin plastic. $25 for the set.

• Sad
Reactions: Toast

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I'm not there... yet. I'm fairly young (41) and have other expenses at the moment. Absolutely there are pipes I'd love to own. And perhaps one day I will. Until then, I've looked at it as it's not my time for this yet.

Financially, I've put a deposit down on the most expensive I'll have in my collection. A whopping $280 over 2 payments for a LE group buy. Anything more than $100 is a serious commitment for me, I tossed and turned on this one. So many of the beautiful old estates on the Bay or elsewhere are far enough out of reach for me to feel bad about missing out. And when the stars align for me, there will be a long smooth lumberman waiting for me.

Reactions: Toast

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
This Piersel was up at SPC for a short time. I thought about it.... Gone, but not before I had my chance to grab it. Later contacted the carver only to learn it could not be duplicated because of rarity of the bamboo in the original. Have thought about it ever since.

View attachment 82989
If you want that shape and are open to other carvers, I'd contact Adam Davidson. From the first impression seeing the picture, before reading the post, I thought it was his. He also had bamboo like that, but he doesn't go with wild stem material, so you might have to compromise on that if you went that route.