PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Imagine if you will a stuffy, smokey room filled with mostly over weight, socially awkward pseudo-intellectuals, ranging from frumpy middle aged to hipsters sporting fedoras and that one guy who insists on wearing a kilt for some unknown reason (apparently when he thinks of pipe club meeting, he thinks about swinging freely), all trying to one up each other on this subject or that - impressing only themselves with their vast pipe and tobacco related knowledge. So just like here but harder to look at.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Imagine if you will a stuffy, smokey room filled with mostly over weight, socially awkward pseudo-intellectuals, ranging from frumpy middle aged to hipsters sporting fedoras and that one guy who insists on wearing a kilt for some unknown reason (apparently when he thinks of pipe club meeting, he thinks about swinging freely), all trying to one up each other on this subject or that - impressing only themselves with their vast pipe and tobacco related knowledge. So just like here but harder to look at.
Ya, the avatars do make us look distinguished ;)

Jan 27, 2020

Upon entering and feeling immediately uncomfortable one could always say “oh sorry I was looking for the ad&d group” or something similar...

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I enjoy our monthly meetups in Raleigh. We have 15-20 regulars plus another handful who show periodically. Chance to show off new pipes and shoot the breeze over a few bowls. Most everyone brings something to share, and the guys with the deepest cellars always bring something I’d never try otherwise, often out-of-production blends. We have the added benefit of having three pipe makers who are regulars, including David Huber—whose work has gained some well deserved attention of late. It’s always interesting to see what they’re working on.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
HauntedMyst isn't wrong. Attending a pipe club will make you aware of how old and entirely uncool all your peers are. It's mostly fat men with beards, with the occasional eccentric trying to look Edwardian or a guy dressed like he's prepped for renaissance fair. On the other hand, everyone is friendly and if you can accept being seen as old and uncool then you can just relax and have some nice conversation about pipes and your favorite blends. People are willing to share, so you'll get to try some new tobacco's you haven't had before.

. Attending a pipe club will make you aware of how old and entirely uncool all your peers are. It's mostly fat men with beards, with the occasional eccentric trying to look Edwardian or a guy dressed like he's prepped for renaissance fair. On the other hand, everyone is friendly and if you can accept being seen as old and uncool then you can just relax and have some nice conversation about pipes and your favorite blends.
It really depends on your area. We have one actor that might be considered hipster-ish, but he also has been an extra in many of the most famous movies, and a lot of cool stories about actors. We also get overalls, working men, professors, doctors, and a few students. The range of folks that smoke pipes is as diverse as your community in general.

But, yeh, you have to be open-minded. We've never had kilts, but discussion of kilts seem to come up quite a bit. I've never understood that, ha ha.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not a whole lot of pipe smokers in my town anymore, but me and 3 other guys try to get together every other week or two and swap samples of interesting blends we've acquired. More of a crew than a club.
you do realize that if any hip(in the know) pipe smokers are in your local area, you know you'll be called upon to show a modicum of hospitality. Or in other words club is the proper term. Crews only owe such to already known friends.

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
HauntedMyst isn't wrong. Attending a pipe club will make you aware of how old and entirely uncool all your peers are. It's mostly fat men with beards, with the occasional eccentric trying to look Edwardian or a guy dressed like he's prepped for renaissance fair. On the other hand, everyone is friendly and if you can accept being seen as old and uncool then you can just relax and have some nice conversation about pipes and your favorite blends. People are willing to share, so you'll get to try some new tobacco's you haven't had before.
best part of being 40 is not being cool stops being a liability. Example "you don't know/like garbage band", "actually I think they're garbage but I am 40 so what can you expect".

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Club ... around these parts we call a club the gathering of three nuts with shoe boxes full of pipes, in the back room of a ran down bar where we bribe the lady serving drinks to let us in the back room and smoke, so we don't freeze our n*** off during the winter months. We exchange ideas, trade pipes sometimes, share tobacco, and more often than not get a little tipsy. It's nice getting together with other people that enjoy the hobby like you do. Next week the three of us are going to Bucharest for the annual Bucharest Slow Smoking competition, that has reached a respectable age - 4th edition. I would imagine we will do the same, less the bribe (they have a Non Profit Organization going on that allows them to rent public places and smoke inside, and the whole nine yards) and add a participation tax, that covers organizational expenses and the competition pipe - a nice dr Brog Bull Dog this year. I will post pics ... but yeah, that's pretty much it :P

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I run two very different pipes clubs here in São Paulo, Brazil. They are also the only two currently running open pipe clubs in the city as far as I know.

Terra da Garoa (a reference to 'Land of drizzling', the nickname for our city) is the first one of the two. We are very busy with preparations for our club's pipe of the year in order for it to arrive on time for the club's third anniversary in April this year. We meet at a very homey brick and mortar pipe shop at a residential area of the town and we have more or less 30 regular club members from all sort of backgrounds: musicians, retirees, college students, nurses, police officers, kids from the slums just scraping by. It's a very lighthearted but very passionate club and we have already organized some cool meetings with live classical musical recitals and even a barbecue. I was asked to join the club's board at the end of last year and we are planning great things for this year too.

São Paulo Pipe Club is a club I organized myself with a group of long time friends that began smoking a pipe. Since we met at law school, we are mostly lawyers or government employees and we meet at an upscale tobacconist near the financial heart of the city. As the place is kind of expensive, this club is a little less diverse. Some regular patrons of the shop have also joined us and we try to focus on teaching beginners how to smoke a pipe in order to popularize this hobby in São Paulo. We started as just a group of friends finding and excuse to meet, but I have seen some improvements on the passion level for pipe smoking from the members of this club and that makes me happy.

If any of you is ever in the area, send me a message. You will be very welcome to smoke a bowl with either of these clubs!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
you do realize that if any hip(in the know) pipe smokers are in your local area, you know you'll be called upon to show a modicum of hospitality. Or in other words club is the proper term. Crews only owe such to already known friends.
I mean, the 3 other guys and myself are "already known friends"... We all worked together previously and hang out sometimes anyway, so we are a crew, but if anyone called upon me for a modicum of hospitality I'd gladly oblige.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I like to sample the different blends the guys bring to pipe club.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.