PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2020
Just curious what exactly a pipe club's function is. What happens at a pipe club? In my head, it is a room of people sitting around smoking pipes - is that accurate?

Is it more of just a social thing where people talk about pipes/tobacco? Or, is it more of a place for people who enjoy a pipe get together to do other non-pipe things?

Why has anyone joined a pipe club, and what was your experience? Any reason specifically to join one? Or any warning signs to avoid one?

Each club is as different as it's members. Mine was based at The Briary, so the owner would help me arrange for pipemakers, collectors, and tobacconists to visit to talk about what they do. Sometimes we would have ugly pipe exchanges, and we always offered up our tobaccos for folks to try. I tried to always have something planned. Now, they just sort of meet up to smoke. It really just depends...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cosmic nailed it above. Interesting question, and as I have no pipe club nearby, I have only been a guest at a few other gatherings.

Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

I think that for a pipesmoker that has never been around someone else who smokes a pipe, it is a great way to see how others smoke. Most of the other social and educational aspects of pipes is covered better on here.

I stopped going religiously after five or so years, because I just find pipesmoking not very social unto itself. I hate having to set a pipe down to answer a question or even remove it from my mouth. Conversation distracts me. But, i do drop in a few times a year to see old friends.

But, I highly recommend folks check out their local pipe clubs. There may be some awesome things going on.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Dated articles, but these give you a good idea

This one is on my bucket list

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Our club is a social event. We gather at a pipe friendly establishment and chat whilst enjoying smoking our pipes. Tobacco blends are shared around so we can get a chance to try different blends that we may not have tried otherwise. For instance I was introduced to Esoterica Pembroke at one. I would never have paid the $20+/- per tin without tasting it first. it is now one of my favorites, and I eagerly await the next Esoterica shipment at Ye Old Pipe.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
For instance I was introduced to Esoterica Pembroke at one. I would never have paid the $20+/- per tin without tasting it first. it is now one of my favorites, and I eagerly await the next Esoterica shipment at Ye Old Pipe.

We just had our inaugural meeting for a new pipe club here in the South Bay of Los Angeles last night, and I got to try Esoterica Cardiff for the first time. I loved it, but I probably would have never bought a bag without trying it first.

At our next meeting I plan to bring a tin of McClelland Frog Morton to pop, since none of us have tried the original Frog on the Log.

Status
Not open for further replies.