PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Some terms for you to consider, Rebels per England's point of view, civil war blue and grey, original rednecks coal miners, flappers and the drinking males, bootleggers, Unions, Zoot suiter, hippies, gangs, Motorcycle Clubs, drug runner, Grundge, Potheads, dopers, punks, metal heads, freaks, and now hipsters.
All of those, I probably missed some, were considered to be against the norms of American society and therefore a counterculture and were going to destroy Western civilization. But they did not, nor will the hipsters.
I am fine with hipsters as more voters smoking pipes gives a greater base which in turn would give us a better chance of having enough clout to be left alone.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Hold on to that dream fordm60. A pipe smoking US president might increase our numbers, but not sufficiently to have any clout. Most of those new pipers would be dilettantes and not serious about it. Remember all those pipe smokers around RMN? No help there.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Warren, roger that been living in a daydream only place I can afford. But it is a nice dream. More people see pipes, the more comfortable they are with pipes.

So, hipsters should just get off of our forum, stop buying pipes and tobaccos, and get over there with their tobacco Nazi buddies. Right? They have no business here with us real pipe smokers.
This is how I see all of these threads anyway. Make it as unwelcoming as possible. Label them all politically (which is pure BS) and set them against us, which is where they should be anyways, right? We don;t respect you hipsters, and we don't want your commie stank in our forums? Is that it?
We will belittle you, make fun of you, put you down, put down your manhood, pigeonhole you politically, make aversions to vegans, sissies, and a whole host of unrelated things to the way some group of men look.
Yep, you don't seem to be welcome here, I'd advise you all take a ten second headstart before we release the dogs on your sorry hipster rumps. Fair game in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6...
Are there any 56 year old hipsters? What exactly is a manbun, and does it involve piercing? Do I have to stretch my earlobes out? There are lots of things that are strange to me about this style. But, there are lots of things about lots of things that are strange to me as well. But, I think that if you asked our pipe shops if they value their hipster clients, they would give an astounding,"Yes." And, with the way they buy up the high end pipes and tobaccos, I think they may even value these guys over the rest of us.
Who are the "real" pipe smokers. The hillbillies amongst us smoking 12 dollar estates or corncobs and Carter Hall? Who spends the most in this hobby? Does it matter? In my opinion, NOPE. You want to smoke a pipe, come over here and set next to me. I am certain enough in who I am, and in my own manhood, that I am not brought down in the smallest proportion by befriending anyone in the hobby, despite what they look like. And, as far as what you believe,. put a sock in it. The fastest way to get my fist in your mouth is to have someone start poking a finger in my chest about anything political. I don't wipe my dogcrap encrusted boots off on anyone else, keep yours off me. Other than that, pull up a stump and fire up your pipe. If your not interested, keep on walking.
And, if that bothers you, go cry it to your mother.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Generally speaking. Don't care if they smoke a pipe. Just don't care much for the counter culture. The snobbery of a 20 year old college student, who wants me to pay for their tuition and has a B.S. Button on their tweed blazer. Piss off and get a blue collar job. The world needs welders not philosophers. I don't go around protesting for beliefs. I may get mad if things don't pan off, but the center stage isn't for me to get up and go woe is me. It's a societal issue I have with the counter culture of hipsters. They don't want to be labeled hipsters, though they are the first to skin their knees jumping in a bandwagon for ridiculous things. Example, and this was brought up. Beards. I have a beard. Have had one for very long time. I trim it once in a while. I don't put any goofy shit in it except for shampoo when I shower. I'm absurdly libertarian and believe the constitution to be the bible not the bible the constitution, especially the second amendment. Hipsters on the other hand have stated that the second amendment is for a different time when you needed to protect yourself. Well shit, last time I knew folks were still getting robbed, raped, and killed. When the criminals put down their guns, I would gladly follow. Anywho, I'm getting too political. Then there is the whiney, narcissistic, ironic attitude towards life. Every hipster I've seen driving here has a dumbass bumper sticker on their car "stuck in Ohio". Can't you be happy that you were born in America, and even Ohio? It's a great state. You get all the seasons, never any life threatening weather. Close to many other states and not to mention the abundance of hospitals, you did want free healthcare so that should be a plus for you. and why in the hell does everything have to be melancholic and sad? What the hell is that about. Oh. And stop changing beer around, if I want a grapefruit covered in caramel garnished with a pickle I'd lick cow shit.

What in blue blazes has what someone wears have to do with guns, college, blue collar BS? The only hipsters I have seen work at a barbque place down the road, and the other loads lumber at my local hardware store. Draggy earrings, beards, suspenders, and hard working American. I think you guys have just hung these gentlemen with a scapegoat for all of your angsts. Maybe some of these guys are pinko liberals, but I don't think they all are by any stretch of the imagination. Even hippes had their groups who carried guns back in the day. The Grateful Dead have pictures of themselves with their pistols and rifles. Scared the beegeebees out of the square crowd.

Labeling all of these guys as liberals is as big a mistake as labeling all pipe smokers as conservative. Just try that in a thread, and many, many of our friends here will object. It's called stereotyping, and while it makes great backslapping humor, it's not going to do our hobby any good atall. Just my opinion there.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Cosmic. I live ten minutes away from Kent State. I deal with the little punks on occasion. Though back in the day. There was a bar. A good bar. One that had cheap beer. Then it got overran by the sort of punks I spoke of. To this day, I'm still bitter.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I think it's the bible that says "love thy nieghbor". It don't say "put up with the asshole down the road".

The ones that I have met in New Orleans at the pipe show were nothing like you guys describe. Maybe that is just the Kent State flavor of hipsters. Do what you want, say what you want, but when you look around to find only a dozen or so of us in the pipe forums, the truth will be made visible.
I just really hate it that you damned intolerable people make me stand up for these guys, ha ha. Be adults and I won't have to come on here and defend these weird looking folks. You got a problem with the way some of our members look, keep it to yourself. Heck, I'm not really fond of how any man looks, personally, but I don't have to shoot my mouth off about it.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Well said, cosmic!
Also, this kind of topic belongs in "General Discussion", not in "General Pipe Smoking Discussion" forum.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
What exactly is a manbun, and does it involve piercing?
29mvi2t.jpg

With rasta beanie covering man bun:
afhwug.jpg

If you are really cool order a rasta beanie with the marijuana leaf pattern & fake dreads:
rixhty.jpg

Eh, original, not original. Sounds like work. Mi just wear what my wife lays out for me. I love just turning off that part of my brain and just go on blind faith to wear what she thinks looks good on me. And, my beard has been with me since It started growing. I just don't think of it as something separate from me. I shaved one time twenty years ago, when my daughter was born, and people didn't recognize me, and mirrors gave me a heart attack.

Just be.

As an artist, even in high school, I didn't associate with clubs, groups, or cliques. Besides my church, which was just a bigger family for me, I prefer to just get along with anyone who wants and walk on by those who don't want to. Ultimately, I spend the majority of my day in my own head while I make things. When I do get away from the bench, I'm just appreciative of anyone who wants to talk. Life is too short...

Status
Not open for further replies.