PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
According to this definition, you would have to know the individual personally to know whether or not they are a hipster.
In my experience, you need to know more about them than their appearance in most cases. Some guys just have beards... but as someone mentioned:
because you will know, I have met some, a good example would be some one who inhales deep the smoke, does not tamp and its smoking big plums of exaggerated smoke at gatherings to call his attention, and he giving you advice to get the cheap cigarette roll your own tobacco to pack in the pipe, just look at their face, they look bitter, twisted they look like they drank bitter beer, you can tell that they are suffering and that they are not enjoying the tobacco, same thing with the hipsters that smoke e-cigs and they tweak it to produce major, ridiculous amount of smoke just to show off.
I'm going to ride my penny farthing home, fire up my Victrola and wax my mustache. I wish you a good day sir!!
When you see enough of certain behaviors, you know it's a hipster.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Hipsters; the latest scapegoat. If we're not mocking their beards, dress, and equippage, we're blaming them for the downfall of Western civilization. -_-

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Also there are the hipsters that do enjoy the pipe and I have no problems with them, as a matter of fact they are a good lot of people, but they have no clue that the fall in this category, they are original, it's just that the media have made this word hipster into a trend and it went out of control, I have even seen some one put on some fake prescription glasses just to fit the part.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
the downfall of Western civilization.
Hmm...
ZDJ4FmCfoPNN0UNAxk4558xmxqULVUVOg7_Ukl5SYL67MhX9j6-Ph8gtcqehZitbfMc-NDbHR2yXriUB1VZIPdo2i0wc-gT5WEov38S0rL5aIghzSvtKwuUvuLlZNfG64kwGggkuZQ=w506-h380

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Hipsters are not the problem , it is the people who are trying so hard to be one.

I am sorry. This is all my fault. I make wearing hats, pipes, and being my own style look so cool, that all of these youngsters want to emulate me. I sometimes will ride my old Schwinn between the house and shop. I have a massive collection of bluegrass and blues on vinyl, and a nice tie and a silk shirt appeals to me over tshirts and bluejeans. I've been doing this for decades. And, I just make being me so damned sexy that I've obviously hurt Western Civilization.
Please accept this as my apology. I will try not being so sexy. Please don't let this horrible thing that I've unleashed upon the world hurt Civilization. What can I do to help? Should I start watching football, listening to Justin Beaver, and maybe get a job doing something more important like working somewhere that has cubicles? I am willing to learn. I could maybe wear baseball hats, shave, and join a lodge of some sort, something that wears a fur hat with horns?
Once again, I apologize, I was doing it for the women, the girls with plastic glasses, funny skirts, and mismatched socks, that like to do things that "regular" girls don't like to do. Ohhh, I've been bad. Yes, it was the girls. The 30 somethings in Catholic school girl outfits. They tantalized me with their vintage outfits, scarves in the summer, and shirts with things from MY era, things I know about, like Atari, TAB soda, and Pacman. The dirty dirty girls, and their bizarre cravings. I apologize.
I take full responsibility for all of this. I had no idea that I would bring down our whole world order. I now know the error of my ways. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Young folks vintage 2005 through present (2015) -- dates as uncertain and imprecise as the term itself -- who behave in theatrical intentionally irritating ways to stimulate attention, discussion, and solidarity among local groups of them. If they make my blood pressure go up with irrational ire, that's them. Versions of this behavior manifested in endless changing modes go back to the times when people began to live long enough to survive past the first bloom of reproductive capability, mostly signifying hormones and a disinclination to be under the heel of their elders.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
So much negativity. I've learned that as humans, we are always on the lookout for certainty where there exists very little, which is why we make up rules of thumb and categories, and then we rationalize them to our comfort.
If someone's overly concerned with something to the point that it outweighs other elements in their lives they are either obsessed or compensating.
If a person places too much emphasis on their appearance, then my claim still holds true. Either way this does not necessarily make them shallow, less unique, less valuable as individuals.
It's an obsession that is harmless to others as opposed to other more criminal obsessions.

Does the quantity of pipes you own make you shallow? But what if there exist millions of pipes of the same model in other people's collections?
Some people invest in clothes because they can afford to, others do so to boost their confidence and others just like using new things.

Let's assume most of the above are lazy to a normal degree when they can afford to be, and the vast majority don't have the time or skills required to manufacture their own wardrobe, and therefore hit the mall and buy whatever is available to the rest of the masses.

Now, how do you tell them apart? Should you care whether they are dressed or haircut similarly?
The beard issue is the same. They were inspired to test what theyd look like with a beard grown out and happened to like the result, for now.
Self expression, attention seeking, acceptance seeking, conformity or non conformity, all originate somewhere and that somewhere has nothing to do with lack of depth.
There's nothing counter culture about this. Just healthy self experimentation that is harmless.
Categorizing is inevitable. We are human. But we are clever pipe smoking evolved humans, and therefore I prefer to categorize and criticise people according to that which is mostly under their control, which is how they think, talk, act and behave towards others. Their perspectives, values, attitudes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Young folks vintage 2005 through present (2015) -- dates as uncertain and imprecise as the term itself -- who behave in theatrical intentionally irritating ways to stimulate attention, discussion, and solidarity among local groups of them. If they make my blood pressure go up with irrational ire, that's them. Versions of this behavior manifested in endless changing modes go back to the times when people began to live long enough to survive past the first bloom of reproductive capability, mostly signifying hormones and a disinclination to be under the heel of their elders.
I like the Darwinian analysis. More good stuff to think about. It does remind me of the 1900s Bohemians, come to think of it.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Cracks me up that everything these days needs a label. If the photo of the scarf wearing guy is "Hip", I am glad I am not :rofl:
I deleted the rest of my post before posting as not to offend any of the politically correct :laughat:

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I was going to say something, but jollyroger already said what I think about subject but much better. I live in an area some might say is hipsterish. From what I've seen they are generally very nice people. They ask me about my tweeds. I do know that in fifty years there are going to be a lot of tattooed old timers who haven't been sailors or to jail. Some of them re hipsters. People are people.
Here's photo of a person going to work. Not sure of he's a hipster, but it sees he's enjoying himself. Like one should.
v2dbQAi.png

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I imagine there is a hipster forum where they opine about the codger-like, intolerant pipesters that spend their time suffering from PAD, TAD and what's like Penzance but not quite Penzance. To each their own.
I'm still trying to get the image of Cosmic singing "I'm too sexy" out of my head...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh2HgPCUUg

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6x368MUQJg
Hipsters....come in many forms. In FL the hipster is so much different than KY....I know when I see a guy with his jeans tucked in his boots, nice clean cowboy hat, big belt buckle, mouth full of dip, the can in his white pocket t-shirt, hands in his pockets, with his three clones nearby...that's a KY hipster. It's the result of people not standing up to say "Hey, you look like a jackass...you work at the mall not on a farm."
hipster-1.jpg

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Cracks me up that everything these days needs a label.
Exactly. It's so annoying.

Not too long ago, after I decided to let my beard grow. I just simply posted a picture on facebook, new face, new profile.
I got plenty very unpleasant remarks about I was trying to show off, that I was such a hipster.

Being in China for years, i had no idea of the new hipster concept and I hated to be branded, specifically something I didn't know much about.

The fact that I smoked the pipe didn't help. But it was really annoying to realise that I had to be boxed, categorised in some way.
Meh ... screw 'em.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Come on folks! We all label and get labeled. Some of the monikers we accept and some we resent. Some of the labels we apply to others are done with respect or love and others are spoken with scorn or distaste.
Carver: I suspect your nationality in China inspired some endearing names and with others, most likely behind your back, not so respectful and derogatory. When I worked in Russia I was well respected to my face. I learned enough Russian slang to understand that a lot of "party people" were not so endearing with their references to me as an American, an enemy they had hated all their lives. Hard to change one's life long prejudices or the fact that "different" often causes discomfort in others.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Beards, tight jeans, heavy rimed (unneeded) glasses, Dr. Martens jump boots, whatever book is trendy that week under the arm (unread), wannabe writers, musicians, philosophers, movie/music/book critics, fatalist/anarchist/atheist posers, gloomy faces in the neighborhood's fashionable coffee shop with unread open book and the same ristretto on the table for hours.
Cheers,
J

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I read this book, I forget what it was called, it might have been no logo by Naomi Klein, but I'm pretty sure it was a different book, but it made the theory that while hipsters pretend to be anti-capitalist they're actually capitalists on steroids, as they pretend to be against mainstream fashion, yet they'll pay 100$ for a shirt because it's "unique", or not trendy, so they actually go to extreme lengths and spend more money than most groups on clothes and lifestyle, meanwhile they claim to be against this stuff. It was a very good read that made me see them in a different light as actual die hard capitalists pretending to be the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.