What Irish Whiskey do You Like or Recommend I Try?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Back in about 2002, Paddy wasn't yet available in the US. My wife and I -- on a trip back to Ireland with my Mom and Aunt (my Irish side) and my Dad -- discovered it and drank it about as nonstop as we could. Before leaving, we bought 10 bottles, all in their rectangular boxes. We stuck two a piece in all our carryons and made it through customs. I assumed they weren't going to bother my then 70 year old parents/aunt, but it was still fun to sneak them through. We savored those bottles for years, and then one day, there was Paddy in our excellent local high-end liquor/tobacco shop. We sped up our intake from there.

I would encourage a glass of your favorite whiskey and then a stout to follow. (I'll order this combo out and let the stout warm up a tad as I start on the whiskey.)

I'll also second Bushmills (and Black Bush; I'm not convinced the single malt version is worth it) and Tullamore Dew.

The other night I had some Tullamore Dew while my wife was having a Woodbridge Bourbon -- the contrast was interesting but I'll leave it to smarter folks to describe what it says about US vs Ireland.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Did they have these different sorts/flavors years ago (70's/80's)?
Do the folks in Ireland at pubs prefer and drink this beer warm or is that a joke? I've had it warm and cold. The rare occasion I like beer I like it either way. Haven't tried Harp but I'll put it on the try list :) thnx B
And one more story from that trip to Ireland, where we encountered Guinness cold. We asked the guy who ran one of the B&Bs we stayed in why it was now served cold (in years past my experience was cool but not cold) and were told, derisively, "We've discovered something called refrigeration."

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Northern Irish loyalties vs Irish loyalties in terms of malt are never ending.
An interesting fact: Bushmills has had Catholics in charge of distilling for ages, and Jamison was originally made by Scottish Protestants! Go figure. Just drink what you like and leave the politics out of it.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Northern Irish loyalties vs Irish loyalties in terms of malt are never ending.
An interesting fact: Bushmills has had Catholics in charge of distilling for ages, and Jamison was originally made by Scottish Protestants! Go figure. Just drink what you like and leave the politics out of it.
I had no clue this sort of thing happened/happens! Wow.

Update to original post--the store was out of Paddy's. They had very little on the shelves. I bought a bottl of Eiregold Irish Whiskey and drank it first--it was yummy! The second bottle was Proper No. Twelve. Almost done with that bottle now. Both great for me. I'm really looking forward to the ones you've each mentioned above. These two bottles both seem so smooth and mild in contrast to the Rye Whiskey and Bourbon I usually drink. Perhaps some would say they are bland--but not me.
thanks
mike

Reactions: dcon

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Only decent Irish Whiskey I’ve had was a Powers Gold Label, had to coax the lady behind the bar; “that’s the owners favourite and he can only get when he goes back to Ireland etc.”.
Kilkenny for the beer, I like Guinness but Kilkenny is a great ale when I’m in the mood,especially on tap.Both beers are meals in themselvespuffy

Reactions: Reggie

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Okay Dear Friends (sorry, it's late/early here & I'm into the Paddy's and almost said, "okay, all you dumb fucks!")--and I do mean that--"Pipe Family" Friends--

I love your posts.

I wrote your recommendations down and took the list to Dallas when we made one of our semi-annual trips to the Metroplex and shopped the big, old liquor store there-Specs on Central! I bought a few different ones--cheap and pricey!

So far, I'm LOVING Paddy's :))))))

Mark, how can you like that sour tasting flavor of bourbon when you can get irish whiskey LOL?????? Brian, Paddy's Rocks!!

kindly
mike

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
Redbreast 12 years old
Bushmills 16 years old
Powers John’s Lane 12 years old
Jameson’s 18 years old

This would give you a spectrum, flavor wise, of high quality Irish whiskey. As some of the bottles can be a bit pricey, my suggestion would be to try them at a bar first before committing to a full bottle purchase.