What Irish Whiskey do You Like or Recommend I Try?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
What do you like if your drinking Irish Whiskey? I want to educate my palate. What cheap and expensive Irish whiskeys do your recommend I should try over the next year or so? I liked Irish Mist whiskey recently but I don't remember the kinds I drank many years ago before taking a 30 plus year break from drinking. I mostly drink less expensive Rye like Old Overholt now or a similar quality scotch like Famous Grouse (on the rare occasions I drink a single malt, I like the sort that remind me of siphoning gasolene and not getting off the hose fast enough--for me, Bavlenie 12 yr and Laphroaig 10 yr; I don't like the "smoother" ones I've tried--Aberlour 15yr & Oban 14yr).
Thanks for any help.
kind regards,
mike
ps--I'm not much for beer but curious about Irish beer, too--haven't ever tried one. Any ideas?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
For a cheap and smooth whiskey that punches well above its price I’d recommend Jameson’s Cask Mates: Stout edition. I normally prefer very peaty scotch, but this wee lad wiggled his way into the heart of the cellar....or the desk drawer in the office to be exact.

Just checking...you have tried Guinness right?

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
For a cheap and smooth whiskey that punches well above its price I’d recommend Jameson’s Cask Mates: Stout edition. I normally prefer very peaty scotch, but this wee lad wiggled his way into the heart of the cellar....or the desk drawer in the office to be exact.

Just checking...you have tried Guinness right?
Thanks very much! I'll put it on th "try it" list!! Yep--I had Guinness decades ago and bought a six pack last year (I forgot about that one! LOL). I like it but wonder if they changed the recipe (wondered the same thing when I tried to find the old Michelob :) thx again so very much!
mike

Reactions: danimalia

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
When I drank I liked Tullamore Dew, Jameson, and when I had a desire to spend more money... Redbreast 12. With the exception of Redbreast, I never considered Irish Whiskey to be particularly high-end. It just went real good with beer and did the job :eek:
I'm glad to know your thinking on this and I'll add all three to my "try list" for the upcoming year. And I like the way your write--". . . went real good with beer and did the job." While I don't drink beer often, I do like getting the job done :))))
kind regards
mike

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks very much! I'll put it on th "try it" list!! Yep--I had Guinness decades ago and bought a six pack last year (I forgot about that one! LOL). I like it but wonder if they changed the recipe (wondered the same thing when I tried to find the old Michelob :) thx again so very much!
mike
6 pack bottles or cans?

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Guinness is the best Irish beer IMO. I like the draught over the extra stout.
Harp is good too.
Did they have these different sorts/flavors years ago (70's/80's)?
Do the folks in Ireland at pubs prefer and drink this beer warm or is that a joke? I've had it warm and cold. The rare occasion I like beer I like it either way. Haven't tried Harp but I'll put it on the try list :) thnx B

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Did they have these different sorts/flavors years ago (70's/80's)?
Do the folks in Ireland at pubs prefer and drink this beer warm or is that a joke? I've had it warm and cold. The rare occasion I like beer I like it either way. Haven't tried Harp but I'll put it on the try list :) thnx B
I like em ice cold I have no idea how the real Irish do it ?

my folks like bushmills, also by them: black bush