PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Pretty new to cellaring so my best is a couple tins of 2013 Escudo. Some pretty good stuff some of you other fellas have! :clap:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
A tin of Stokkebye-produced Erinmore Flake in the narrow tin dated 2008 that I have bought back in 2010. Still holding on to it.
I have in a jar some Wessex Premier Mixture from an undated tin I believe to be produced before 1993 ( made in the EEC label ). Quite bitey stuff but very smooth and aromatic, Lakeland-style.
A tin of 2006 ( as written in magic marker on the bottom ) Peterson Irish Flake which is not much different from current production stuff, except the skinny tin, narrower flakes, and slightly more topping. I received this as a birthday gift last year and decided to crack it open a couple of weeks ago, since my birthday came around again. Still smoking it, down to three flakes. This stuff is stout, old or new.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm in the same boat as JKrug, having just started both smoking a pipe and cellaring. I've got some 2013 Escudo, and a tub of Sugar Barrel that I've divvied up into Mason jars at about the same time. Starting to identify blends I want to keep on hand or stash for aging purposes now, and looking at coolers for storage as they go on sale at Costco... :D

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The furnace probably has the most advanced age of anything in my cellar but that's another story. I have a tin or two of McClelland #24 from 1986. Next would be a tin of McClelland British Woods from 1991. I don't generally buy aged blends anymore. I have a rather largish supply of stuff from 1999 through 2004. I did spend a bit on tobacco in those years. It was well worth it. Time is very good to many blends.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not into aging tobacco, but I am a moderate smoker, so when I enthusiastically buy a few tins, they can sit around for quite a while. Without unpacking my cellar tin by tin, I'd have to guess. I do have a tub of Half-and-Half that goes back several years. At the time, I should have spent a few more bucks at the J&S outlet and bought a tub of Carter Hall. It's an example of thrift gone astray. I keep hoping that the H&H Virginias will improve over time, but I think that's folly. On a brighter note, I have several blends that might actually improve with their several years of waiting, like McC's Dark Star and maybe my GL Pease Westminster and Dunhill Elizabethan. I'm not refraining from opening these, just not needing them yet. I have several jarred bulk blends and a still-ample selection of samples sent to me by a Forums member that delay my popping tins. I'm not roaring through my cellar, and I don't have a wall of tins, although I did admire the recent photo of foggy with his tall book cases full of McClellands.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Dang Troy, that Krumble Kake looks awesome! Its been on my short list. When I smoked it last (about 15 years ago) I didn't appreciate it as I was smoking Penzance at the time. Kicking myself for not stocking up on it.
@beefeater - WOW. That is all I can say. Nice stash of Dunhill blends.
I have a tin of Standard Medium from the late 80s and a couple tins of Pembroke (96 and 98). I've also got some decade old Stonehaven around here somewhere.
The most I have ever paid for aged tobacco was about $110 for Dunhill Standard Mixture Full. Probably the best tin I have ever smoked with the maybe the exception of Dunhill Cuba.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Had to bump this so I could add one of my latest purchases. This is not for smoking but still fits the subject. A pouch of Walt Disney World's Mildly Aromatic Special Blend. This could be from 1971 to 1985, although with the fifty cent price tag on it, I guess it is probably from the 1970s.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Many tins of sweet Sutliff Burley-based aromatics, just waiting for tobaccogedden.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
My oldest is a tin of an old OTC called "Friends" from 1945! Cool graphics of a hunter and his dog. Later tins have different hunting cloths styles along with the hunters "friend", the dog. The hunter looks very old fashioned. The dogs, however, look surprisingly modern!

I'll bump this when I figure out how to post pictures.
Plugugly

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Edgeworth sliced - honestly I do not know how old it is. Either late 80's early 90's

Mac Baren HH vintage Syrian - 2007

Escudo/Dunhill Royal Yacht - 2013

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
>_> I got some Captain Black from when I first started smoking a few years ago. That's my oldest 'tin'.

May 31, 2012
The latest old tin to arrive...
oxIfpb2.jpg

p3019It.jpg

K0xJ34r.jpg

glBGRsg.jpg

ZQ5hSOq.jpg

Mick McQuaid!
I was amazed I was the only bidder on this.
It's in near mint condition outside of some paper ruffling,

and structurally it's super solid with no pinholes.
Can you still find the old stuff on the cheap?
Yes,

you can.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-1920s-Rare-Mick-McQuaid-2-Oz-Cut-Plug-Tobacco-Tin-Liverpool-/261921443055?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ZnC6k4F0bhJhsU1QUlH5iQtRQWo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
:puffy:

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Mick McQuaid - solid and subtly fruity with Irish style tastiness.

Please let us know how this aged original tobacco taste, MLC :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.