What Happened to the Coating of this Brand New Chacom?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
There are those who use sandpaper and those who use acetone, personally I belong to the second group because I hate the idea I could be taking off some wood, leave marks or do some irreversible damage to the pipe.
Exactly... I would hazard a guess that most people really don't know how to use sandpaper. And unless you want to change the geometry of the finished stummel, stick with acetone. Doesn't require gallons of it, and it's not going to penetrate the surface except for a few microns deep, and 99.99% of it will evaporate leaving nothing. You could stain it, or leave it natural, wax on or wax off...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Exactly... I would hazard a guess that most people really don't know how to use sandpaper. And unless you want to change the geometry of the finished stummel, stick with acetone. Doesn't require gallons of it, and it's not going to penetrate the surface except for a few microns deep, and 99.99% of it will evaporate leaving nothing. You could stain it, or leave it natural, wax on or wax off...
Right on with the acetone.. you’re right it’s probably lacquer not shellac. Though even new grabows use shellac.

definitely don’t sand it. Remove the finish by other means. The only reason to sand a pipe is if it has dings or scratches or stains etc you are trying to remove.

M

Magnum207

In my defense, I suggested “high-grit” wet/dry sandpaper (notice I didn’t mention the use of a grinder). Some of you are undoubtedly more skilled craftsman than me, but using say, 1500-2000 grit sandpaper, it would take even you absolutely forever to change the “geometry” of any wood object. I’m guessing if “most people” know how to use Acetone on a pipe, then those “most people” could work a piece of sandpaper. Since he was worried about the original, disturbed appearance, I suggested not using chemicals…. I was unaware that Acetone can remove fingernail polish but not water-soluble stains.

Reactions: Chris81 and edger

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I thought that a porous surface would make it less hot - it was getting really hot.
Ok, my pipes may still reach higher temperatures for a very short time, then I stop smoking and relight them when they're not too hot anymore, but this doesn't explain a bubble in the lacquer: in my opinion either the product used is wrong or the technique to apply it was wrong or the briar was too humid, etc.
My standard advice on cadence is to sip the pipe. It really helps to look at it this way. Gives one a good idea of how little force is required to draw the smoke from chamber into your mouth. When people think slow cadence that doesn't really cover what I feel is more important to keep a pipe cool, which is just how hard one draws. You can take short sips or long sips but it's much easier to keep a pipe cool taking this advice.
I got that advice from a really old text from back when the stuff was first brought over from the "new" world. It described people sipping smoke and man I am glad I read that thing.

Reactions: edger and Chris81

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
In my defense, I suggested “high-grit” wet/dry sandpaper (notice I didn’t mention the use of a grinder). Some of you are undoubtedly more skilled craftsman than me, but using say, 1500-2000 grit sandpaper, it would take even you absolutely forever to change the “geometry” of any wood object. I’m guessing if “most people” know how to use Acetone on a pipe, then those “most people” could work a piece of sandpaper. Since he was worried about the original, disturbed appearance, I suggested not using chemicals…. I was unaware that Acetone can remove fingernail polish but not water-soluble stains.
Before joining this forum I was in a Spanish forum and my last post was about sandpaper vs acetone to remove the glossy lacquer on my first pipe. I had to leave after the fight that my post caused (moderators were not moderating anything).
I learnt it's a "delicate" subject and that people will like one OR the other method.

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
I think I was able to make it less visible by passing some acetone only in that spot and the surrounding area, then I waxed.
I also decided to use some extra-fine sandpaper but the circle is still visible, I decided not to continue as some of the stain was taken away and the colour started to appear visibly clearer.
There is also a difference in shine but it's only visible at very close inspection under the right light.
45390F8F-047B-479C-A2FB-BAF5F204D099.jpeg
137C48E4-1D92-400C-8013-5A1B660505E2.jpeg