SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Actually... I had some fresh lima beans at a nice Spanish restaurant here last night with romesco sauce, roasted eggplant and charred onion. It was really good. I was very impressed with the whole meal, which usually isn't the case when I go out to "fining dining" type places anymore. Hey @JOHN72 are "judia blanca" commonly found fresh in Spain? Hope I have that translation right. This restaurant was using Moorish Jewish recipes among other Spanish cooking. What was really extraordinary was this dessert we had called Torta Santiago, which is a sort of almond cake but what was really interesting is that it was served with a salty whipped cream. Sounds weird but it sort of gave the mouth and mind this impression that you were eating salted butter. Blew my mind! Next time I have some sort of pie at home I'm going to try that.

The Greek restaurants I go to here usually have a dry lima bean stew type dish with tomato which I always order. Lima beans have a really particular taste if you ask me. Funny, I bought some dried lima beans at a Greek grocery store once and the older Greek casher asked me if I knew how to cook them which I thought was an odd question and added that most Greek people don't. Really nothing complicated about cooking them like most other beans. Just takes time really.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I grow Worcester Indian Red Pole limas almost every year (at a new house converting ex-hayfield into victory garden, so this year's beans are smaller than normal). I let them dry on the vine (to a nice, deep maroon color), then use as dry beans. They are a far cry from the butterbean limas. I do, incidentally intend to use bush limas next year to convert more area to garden beds. Hopefully I can pull some beans off for freezing as well.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
My wife and I were just discussing this the other day (I know, I lead an exiting life). This is what I looked up from wiki:
A lima bean, also commonly known as the butter bean, sieva bean, double bean, Madagascar bean, chad bean, or wax bean is a legume grown for its edible seeds or beans.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
My wife and I were just discussing this the other day (I know, I lead an exiting life). This is what I looked up from wiki:
A lima bean, also commonly known as the butter bean, sieva bean, double bean, Madagascar bean, chad bean, or wax bean is a legume grown for its edible seeds or beans.
I didn’t realize some of the words were links, not my intention. Sorry.

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I grew up in western PA and my mom often served us succotash. Never thought I would get sentimental about lima beans and corn.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Whenever I feel anemic, I ask my wife to make up a batch of Liver and Lima Bean stir fry. This super charges my iron levels. No one else in the family will touch this dish. But I like it. Nothing else super charges my iron levels.

Reactions: StringBEan
Jan 27, 2020
I might pick up a bag of frozen lima beans at some point but never buy canned beans; I find them to be vile and probably not cost effective vs dried but wouldn't know as I never bought canned legumes. I'm a bit disappointed that my cowpeas which I sowed from seed never took off. For a while I thought this well growing plant was my cowpea bush as I have never grown them before but it turned out to be some noxious weed. I'm looking forward to Fall but get a bit bummed knowing it's too late to try to reestablish summer plants which failed. I did sow a bunch of cauliflower and cabbage the other week. So at least that's something to look forward to. Hey, @Richmond B. Funkenhouser how many different things did you end up browing this summer?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Yep, gotta grow the lima beans yourself or purchase canned or frozen or fresh at the farmers market. My guess is that they aren't sold fresh at most grocery stores because people don't want the hassle of prepping them before cooking. People are mostly lazy, right?

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I might pick up a bag of frozen lima beans at some point but never buy canned beans; I find them to be vile and probably not cost effective vs dried but wouldn't know as I never bought canned legumes. I'm a bit disappointed that my cowpeas which I sowed from seed never took off. For a while I thought this well growing plant was my cowpea bush as I have never grown them before but it turned out to be some noxious weed. I'm looking forward to Fall but get a bit bummed knowing it's too late to try to reestablish summer plants which failed. I did sow a bunch of cauliflower and cabbage the other week. So at least that's something to look forward to. Hey, @Richmond B. Funkenhouser how many different things did you end up browing this summer?

Corn, watermelons, tomatoes, okra, pumpkins, gourds, sorghum, sunflowers, white peas, peppers, eggplant, strawberries, and cucumbers.