PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I was a 19 year old student in Mallorca, Spain. It just felt right from the first taste. And I still have and still smoke that pipe 40 years later.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I smoked a pipe 30 years ago, when I was smoking something worth smoking :P. Then about 6 months ago I walked in a Cigar/Pipe shop near me, and got fond memories of the unique flavors of pipe tobacco after sniffing a few blends.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
What got me started on pipes.....a couple of things;
The memory of lying on the living room floor watching after dinner television with my little sister, while my grandfather and favorite uncle smoked their pipes sometime back in the early 1960's.
Then in 1969 at the age of 12 or 13, I passed the front porch of this new "college guy" in the neighborhood who would not only introduce me to the corncob pipe and Mixture 79, but eventually become one of my most treasured friends.

I not only loved the smell of his Mixture 79, but was thilled by the fact that I was about to do something that would get me in big trouble if I got caught.

So across the street to the Texaco station I ran as fast as I could go, and bought my own corn-cob pipe off the cardboard sign hanging on the wall.

When I got back to the porch, I smoked like any pretentious young adolescent, enjoying my new manliness right up to the point at where I had to do the serpentine over to the driveway where I lost my baloney and cheese in his mother-in-laws bushes.
Got away from it for a while, it was just too much work compared to firing up a great cigar, and at that time the cost of a box of good Cohibas or Partagas was nothing,..….that is until my wife retired.
So; old "Rip" Van Winkle, (may God rest his soul), got me started down this wonderful road, and even though I veered off for a while……economics has set me back on the trail.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Couple friends got me smoking cigars, every time I would go to my tobacconist I would see the pipes and the different tobaccos. Always liked the look of the pipes and I finally caved about 6 years later. Now after enjoying the much better tastes and aromas of pipe tobacco I cant see myself going back to cigars, even tried the other week. Cigars have a horrible taste to me now..

Status
Not open for further replies.