PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
Found this description on a website:

Dark Virginia was first cultivated in the state of its namesake, and was later grown in Kentucky. It is Burley type tobacco, commonly used in cigarettes and sometimes in pipes and cigars. The leaves are relatively easy to cure, and are know for their strong, distinct flavor.

Link: How to Grow Dark Virginia Tobacco | Guide to Growing Dark Virginia Tobacco - http://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/va/1/guidetogrowingdarkvirginiatobacco.html#:~:text=Dark%20Virginia%20was%20first%20cultivated,for%20their%20strong%2C%20distinct%20flavor.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You did say exactly...

-----------------------------

K326, TN 90, and TN 90 SRC were each initially hybridized with an individual plant in which the BBL-a, BBL-b, and BBL-c truncation mutations were initially assembled in triple homozygous conditions (Lewis et al., 2015). Each F1 was then backcrossed to their respective recurrent parents, and selection for all three mutations was carried out using Kompetitive Allele Specific PCR (KASP) markers. The backcross breeding method was carried out to the BC7F1 generation for each of the three lines, at which time triple heterozygous mutant genotypes were self-pollinated to produce the BC7F2 generation. BC7F2 individuals were genotyped to identify all eight possible homozygous genetic combinations (Supplementary Table 1), which were then self-pollinated to produce BC7F3 seed of the nearly isogenic lines (NILs) for each genetic background. Numerical nomenclature is hereafter used to refer to each of these genotypes, where a “0” indicates the homozygous “wild-type” condition at a particular locus, “2” designates the homozygous mutant condition at a particular locus, and “1” indicates a heterozygote (Supplementary Table 1). For example, the designation “K326 (210)” indicates a line homozygous for the mutant genotype at the BBL-a locus, heterozygous for the mutant genotype at the BBL-b locus, and homozygous for the wild type allele at the BBL-c locus.

The eight K326-derived NILs were evaluated for yield, physical cured leaf quality, and cured leaf chemistry in comparison with K326, NC95, and corresponding NC95 isolines MAFC5 (Nic1/Nic1 nic2/nic2) (Chaplin, 1986), LMAFC34 (nic1/nic1 Nic2/Nic2) (Chaplin and Burk, 1984), and LAFC53 (nic1/nic1 nic2/nic2) (Chaplin, 1975). An F1 hybrid between K326 and K326 (222), designated as K326 (111) was also included. Experiments were carried out at three North Carolina field locations (Upper Coastal Plain Research Station, Rocky Mount; Cunningham Research Station, Kinston; and the Oxford Tobacco Research Station, Oxford) during 2016 and 2017, for a total of six field environments. Experimental units at each location consisted of single 20-plant rows managed according to standard flue-cured production practices for North Carolina. Intra-row spacing was 56 cm at all three locations, while inter-row spacing was 122 cm at the Oxford and Rocky Mount locations and 112 cm at the Kinston locations.

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
You did say exactly...

-----------------------------

K326, TN 90, and TN 90 SRC were each initially hybridized with an individual plant in which the BBL-a, BBL-b, and BBL-c truncation mutations were initially assembled in triple homozygous conditions (Lewis et al., 2015). Each F1 was then backcrossed to their respective recurrent parents, and selection for all three mutations was carried out using Kompetitive Allele Specific PCR (KASP) markers. The backcross breeding method was carried out to the BC7F1 generation for each of the three lines, at which time triple heterozygous mutant genotypes were self-pollinated to produce the BC7F2 generation. BC7F2 individuals were genotyped to identify all eight possible homozygous genetic combinations (Supplementary Table 1), which were then self-pollinated to produce BC7F3 seed of the nearly isogenic lines (NILs) for each genetic background. Numerical nomenclature is hereafter used to refer to each of these genotypes, where a “0” indicates the homozygous “wild-type” condition at a particular locus, “2” designates the homozygous mutant condition at a particular locus, and “1” indicates a heterozygote (Supplementary Table 1). For example, the designation “K326 (210)” indicates a line homozygous for the mutant genotype at the BBL-a locus, heterozygous for the mutant genotype at the BBL-b locus, and homozygous for the wild type allele at the BBL-c locus.

The eight K326-derived NILs were evaluated for yield, physical cured leaf quality, and cured leaf chemistry in comparison with K326, NC95, and corresponding NC95 isolines MAFC5 (Nic1/Nic1 nic2/nic2) (Chaplin, 1986), LMAFC34 (nic1/nic1 Nic2/Nic2) (Chaplin and Burk, 1984), and LAFC53 (nic1/nic1 nic2/nic2) (Chaplin, 1975). An F1 hybrid between K326 and K326 (222), designated as K326 (111) was also included. Experiments were carried out at three North Carolina field locations (Upper Coastal Plain Research Station, Rocky Mount; Cunningham Research Station, Kinston; and the Oxford Tobacco Research Station, Oxford) during 2016 and 2017, for a total of six field environments. Experimental units at each location consisted of single 20-plant rows managed according to standard flue-cured production practices for North Carolina. Intra-row spacing was 56 cm at all three locations, while inter-row spacing was 122 cm at the Oxford and Rocky Mount locations and 112 cm at the Kinston locations.
My heads hurts...I need to lie down for bit 😵‍💫

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Found this description on a website:

Dark Virginia was first cultivated in the state of its namesake, and was later grown in Kentucky. It is Burley type tobacco, commonly used in cigarettes and sometimes in pipes and cigars. The leaves are relatively easy to cure, and are know for their strong, distinct flavor.

Link: How to Grow Dark Virginia Tobacco | Guide to Growing Dark Virginia Tobacco - http://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/va/1/guidetogrowingdarkvirginiatobacco.html#:~:text=Dark%20Virginia%20was%20first%20cultivated,for%20their%20strong%2C%20distinct%20flavor.
Okay but can anyone describe the “distinct flavor”?

I've grown one variety of this, called African Dark. It takes either an air cure or a flu cure well, and is often flu cured and made into a cavendish often called "Fire Cured Virginias," but this seems to cause all sorts of confusion on tobaccoreviews, where people expect to taste Kentucky Fire Cured, but don't. It is actually a stoved Virginia, and adds only a slight taste with more of a mouth feel and heavier smoke. I do not think this process is really all of that close to the same process as the DFK.
Aged in a blend it attributes a plummy taste or woody taste. The company that uses this most is GH&co, which tends to case and top the hell out of their blends, so it can be hard to differentiate different leaf in their blends anyways. It was also a leaf used in Royal Yacht, which is also cased to the point of making it hard to differentiate the different leaf varieties.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I've grown one variety of this, called African Dark. It takes either an air cure or a flu cure well, and is often flu cured and made into a cavendish often called "Fire Cured Virginias," but this seems to cause all sorts of confusion on tobaccoreviews, where people expect to taste Kentucky Fire Cured, but don't. It is actually a stoved Virginia, and adds only a slight taste with more of a mouth feel and heavier smoke. I do not think this process is really all of that close to the same process as the DFK.
Aged in a blend it have attribute a plummy taste or woody taste. The company that uses this most is GH&co, which tends to case and top the hell out of their blends, so it can be hard to differentiate different leaf in their blends anyways. It was also a leaf used in Royal Yacht, which is also cased to the point of making it hard to differentiate the different leaf varieties.
I was going to say, I understand dark Virginia in a description to typically mean it has been stoved. The industry does not always follow the real rules.

I understand dark Virginia in a description to typically mean it has been stoved.
It is probably mostly stoved before use in pipe tobaccos, but I don't think it was stoved in the older Royal Yacht recipe. It is a seed variety. You can buy African Virginia seeds under several names. And, there are a few others used in commercial tobacco production as georged has posted.

The industry does not always follow the real rules.
There are different jargons for the different levels of tobacco production, growers, processors, manufacturers, blenders, etc... the confusion is when a marketing person from one of these companies just mixes up the copy. Blenders aren't always totally aware of what the jargon is at the other levels of the tobacco industry. Some may not even be aware of the processes.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
There are different jargons for the different levels of tobacco production, growers, processors, manufacturers, blenders, etc... the confusion is when a marketing person from one of these companies just mixes up the copy. Blenders aren't always totally aware of what the jargon is at the other levels of the tobacco industry. Some may not even be aware of the processes.
Exactly. I am sure a number of blends that say Dark Virginia are simply stoved and not the Aftican varietal. By the time marketing gets to something nothing is accurate any longer.

Exactly. I am sure a number of blends that say Dark Virginia are simply stoved and not the Aftican varietal. By the time marketing gets to something nothing is accurate any longer.
I find the copy work on the back of tins and websites to be mostly totally useless. I am always surprised when someone posts an excerpt from one of these to defend some leaf argument of some sort.
I don't mean to disparage pipe tobacco companies. But, their goal is merely to make that particular blend appeal to those who might like what is in the tin. They aren't exactly expert tobacco industry folks giving us scientific data.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I'm thinking that the term "Dark Virginas" could also just mean the opposite of bright, and more in the realm of reds

I'm thinking that the term "Dark Virginas" could also just mean the opposite of bright, and more in the realm of reds
Red Virginias are a seed varietal different from VAGold25, but they are also color cured in a process similar to how cigar leaf is fermented. Yellow Virginias are also different varietals like Canadian and Ukrainian... and Like Virginias, are named after the place where the seed stock was produced, but these can be easily grown just about anywhere.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find the copy work on the back of tins and websites to be mostly totally useless. I am always surprised when someone posts an excerpt from one of these to defend some leaf argument of some sort.
I don't mean to disparage pipe tobacco companies. But, their goal is merely to make that particular blend appeal to those who might like what is in the tin. They aren't exactly expert tobacco industry folks giving us scientific data.
and then there is the whole idea of proprietary recipes.