PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some great scenes this month!

It really is nice to be able to know where those scenes are.

So,
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: edger

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
I live in Denmark.. so in February there are no mountains, snow or sunshine to show. Picture from a recent visit at Trelleborg: the site of a Viking ring castle. Trelleborg is believed to have been ordered by King Harald Bluetooth in the year 980 AD and it might have commanded the Great Belt and its sea traffic, between the islands of Zealand and Funen. There were Viking longhouses originally, reconstructed by traces of the wooden structure that were found.20220101_140317.jpg

It has been a weird weather day, but at least traffic isn't bad. puffy
Explore This Terrifyingly Beautiful World of Alien Fractals

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
We haven't had much snow in KC this year. We have probably had maybe 8" all year. We did get a couple of inches last night. Unfortunately it is very cold out so not much chance of snow melting in a day or two, so we will have to get out and clear the driveway and sidewalks. The lady next to us is elderly and we will probably clear hers also. Probably next Wednesday is the first day for serious melting.

Reactions: JOHN72

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
I live in Denmark.. so in February there are no mountains, snow or sunshine to show. Picture from a recent visit at Trelleborg: the site of a Viking ring castle. Trelleborg is believed to have been ordered by King Harald Bluetooth in the year 980 AD and it might have commanded the Great Belt and its sea traffic, between the islands of Zealand and Funen. There were Viking longhouses originally, reconstructed by traces of the wooden structure that were found.View attachment 125850
Very interesting. This was massive for the times it seems. How far from navigable waters was this settlement? Just beyond the ring berm or much farther away?

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Very interesting. This was massive for the times it seems. How far from navigable waters was this settlement? Just beyond the ring berm or much farther away?
10km or more to the coast, and next to some small creeks that would be not navigable as far as I can see (don't know much about vikings). Apparently this was mainly used to strengthen central power of the King, so part of an attempt subdue petty kings and local chieftains, Also: there are no written sources, which is largely explained by this fortification having been in use only 10-15 years.