PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I grew up in a rural farming community...... In the mid 80's times got REAL tuff for us and our neighbors. Interest rates were like 13%, grain prices were at all time lows, fuel prices were high........
we raised hogs.......... I saw my dad cry selling his pigs at market for less than he had in raising them......
He worked 16-18 hours a day and LOST money........
The neighborhood auction in my area was a time of sadness.......... someone folded, and sold out....... couldn't make a living at it anymore.......
I remember my Dad, (kind of a hard ass type) scoffing when a 20' log chain sold for like $60. He said you could buy a new one at the local hardware for $20............
I mentioned that MAYBE all the neighbors were bidding this stuff up, to help a fellow man, Knowing that a man was giving up his livelihood......... Sad stuff. My Dad just laughed at the notion......... 3 years later the auction was at our farm...................................... ?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I often contact the seller before any bids are made and make a reasonable offer. The success rate is fairly high, I avoid bidding wars, and have walked away with some very good deals.
That’s a good idea. Sometimes there’s a “make an offer” button on the big auction site. I’ve used that before to get a pretty good deal on an onboard air compressor for my jeep for airing back up after coming off trails.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
words take their meaning in context. Winning means different things when applied to different situations. When I was in high school one group of my friends used winning for euphemism for something teenage buys would find funnier. The thing is it really does apply to e-bay winning.
Oh and tomatoes are a fruit when you're talking to biologist and a vegetable when you're talking to a chef. There is no tomatoes are really fruit crap that people always talk about.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I think the common usage is to say you "win" something at auction if you end up buying it. But doesn't the "win" depend on getting the item below some general market price? If a pipe could be sold by a retailer at $300, but you get it for $150 or less, that's a win. If it is the other way around, you bought it at auction, but it doesn't seem like a win at all. I'm I picking nits, or should we just maybe say, I bought the item at auction, and let the win/lose discussion go from there?
I’ve been around auctions for most of my life. Winning refers to the bid. Youbid won or was accepted as all others bids did not win.

Ive seen cattle auctions, land auctions, as well as eBay auctions where the winning bid is just part of the vernacular.

As to contacting the seller to end the auctions, my guitar collector friend has done that many times, but usually with a highly collectible piece that he knew rue value in advance . Ending is not cheap or for amateurs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
True, that's the auction game and the way it's won, if that's what you're into. I think many Forums members want to acquire good pipes they want at below market prices, so if you are paying too much, you aren't winning that game. It seems the auction format is often a losing proposition for this acquire-good-pipes group. We're looking at it from different points of view, but I think we're saying essentially the same thing. If the auction is the thing, you win. If the pipe is the thing, look again at what you paid.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
There are many types of auctions, but when it comes to collectables (pipes) and luxury goods (pipes) eBay is the real thing. And since eBay's rules in general favor the buyer, it makes sense for pipe smokers to bid there. For the buyer its a very fair system, and there should never be any regrets over picking up something nice on eBay.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Eh. "Winning" is an attitude. I've "won" by walking away. My sports teams have "won" by playing less like garbage than the opposing team or "lost" late in the playoffs in injury plagued seasons. If you're happy with the outcome then you've won, point blank.

Common usage tends to say otherwise. So we use the Common Language, but it doesn't change anything.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Like so much on the Internet, linguistic features on a given site are designed to get people hooked on it. On-line is designed to be addictive.
eBay doesn't exist to give people bargains. To the extent that it's an auction house its job is to get the highest price the market will offer at any given time. But, the story eBay will spin is that you get the best prices on items when you buy, and a lot of people buy into that.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Like so much on the Internet, linguistic features on a given site are designed to get people hooked on it. On-line is designed to be addictive.
eBay doesn't exist to give people bargains. To the extent that it's an auction house its job is to get the highest price the market will offer at any given time. But, the story eBay will spin is that you get the best prices on items when you buy, and a lot of people buy into that.
All true, but good deals can be found in spite of these facts if one exercises self-restraint.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Never really thought about it that much. I know what my limit bid is, and know what my "bid to win" bid may have to be, have a pretty good idea of what the pipe is worth, or what it may go for in current market conditions, and only bid in the final seconds. To my mind, bidding before the very end of an auction is basically bidding against yourself, i.e. raising the final price. It's not too complicated. Obsessing about the terminology, is kind of a waste of time.

Reactions: kcghost
Status
Not open for further replies.