PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the common usage is to say you "win" something at auction if you end up buying it. But doesn't the "win" depend on getting the item below some general market price? If a pipe could be sold by a retailer at $300, but you get it for $150 or less, that's a win. If it is the other way around, you bought it at auction, but it doesn't seem like a win at all. I'm I picking nits, or should we just maybe say, I bought the item at auction, and let the win/lose discussion go from there?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess the win is beating the competition, but that's sort of a sad illusion if you got soaked on price. It's true, winning the auction means you bought the item, maybe against other bidders. So you won the auction game even if you got sacked on price. Something to consider. Granted some people get incredible deals at auctions, and those are indisputable wins, both ways.

Reactions: JOHN72

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I think the common usage is to say you "win" something at auction if you end up buying it. But doesn't the "win" depend on getting the item below some general market price? If a pipe could be sold by a retailer at $300, but you get it for $150 or less, that's a win. If it is the other way around, you bought it at auction, but it doesn't seem like a win at all. I'm I picking nits, or should we just maybe say, I bought the item at auction, and let the win/lose discussion go from there?
I agree. I've been saying that since eBay started. Calling it a "win" is stretching it a bit too far for me. Ebay is far from being a real auction even though it's touted as "an auction site". It's basically a garage sale with a large audience and an escrow. I've never "won" anything at a garage sale and even if I buy a $300 pipe at $150, I am skeptical about how much of a win it is until I actually get my hands on it.

Reactions: LotusEater

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Now “winning” is harder. eBay collects sales tax in my state. Other auctions have a buyers premium plus sales tax. Then there’s shipping to consider. Yeah, truly winning on all counts takes careful consideration.

Reactions: Aomalley27

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You have to make sure you don’t lose when you “win,” I reckon. I always go into an auction site knowing ahead of time what I’m willing to pay. For cigars, my cap is 50% of market value for most brands. If it goes north of that, I let someone else take that “win.”
I often contact the seller before any bids are made and make a reasonable offer. The success rate is fairly high, I avoid bidding wars, and have walked away with some very good deals.

Aug 1, 2012
The whole idea is that an auction is a means by which to acquire an asset by placing bids in competition with other potential buyers. That simple, you win when you eliminate the competition. Redefining it to terms that make you happy works for the person doing the redefining.

The fact that many auctions result in a purchase price that doesn't accurately reflect the value of an item is a different thing altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.