PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Since St. Nicholas was a rich man from Myra. That would suggest he enjoyed Turkish Orientals. Chances are high St. Nicholas would have enjoyed Penzance, Dunhill London Mixture, or maybe Frog Morton On the Town. However St. Nicholas isn't really Santa Claus is he?
By the 16th century, in the UK, St. Nicholas is replace with Father Christmas and in Germany Christkind is his name . In the early America's his name was 'Kris Kringle' (from the Christkind). Dutch settlers took the old stories of St. Nicholas with them to the United States and Kris Kringle with St Nicholas became Sinterklaas or Santa Claus! Maybe early Santa Claus smoked a barrel cured European tobacco called Drum? But I don't think so.
January 1st 1881, Harper's Weekly publish a Nast drawing of Santa. Big belly, arms full of toys, and yes, smoking a churchwarden pipe. If this is the time Santa started smoking pipes I would think his bowl would be full of a very popular American blend called Bull Durham.
santa-1881.jpg

But that was not today. If I was this old, jolly gentleman with a very northern address and I had to fly around on one of the coldest nights of the year, I think I would want a smoke with a bit more bite. Maybe heavy on the flavor and nicotine. I would also want to keep my hands warm so I would have a very large bowl. I could see today's Santa Claus smoking a bowl of JackKnife Plug or maybe Black Frigate in a MacArthur Classic Corn Cob pipe.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
hmmmm, maybe my kids will have to leave out a loaded pipe with the cookies and rum and coke for santa this year. (my older kid knows that all the other kids leave him milk, so he will certainly remember the house that left him a nice rum and coke)

I'll have to sort through the stash and see what Santa might like.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I leave the Black Frigate out for after Christmas cleaning. Krampus shows up around then and really enjoys it. :rofl:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When his sleigh tours England on xmas eve I have it on good authority that he favours Full Virginia Plug in his pipe before switching over to Erinmore Plug for the Irish leg of his trip :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
(This may get bounced by the Mods, but I found it amusing, after all it is my state)
Colorado Christmas, 2016
12.01 a.m. December 25th Denver, Colorado.

I was on a night shift delivering tidings of comfort and joy.

As I made my first rooftop stop on a cold and dark night I jumped out of my sleigh and proceeded down the chimney.

I loaded the stockings with care and gently placed presents under the tree.

"For Santa", a note said. What I noticed on a tabletop was a new clay pipe, preloaded and ready to smoke.

Lighting up it was a harsh thick smoke which caused a few coughs but also tuned into a comforting blend after a few puffs.
On to the next rooftop and down the chimney again, I dropped a few thing into the hanging socks and stuffed a few presents under the tree.

A tabletop there had a few cookies and a glass of milk plus a baggie filled with what seemed to be the same blend I just finished. 

Those cookies and milk were the best tasting I ever had so when done I loaded up my new clay pipe from the baggie and started taking deep draws.

Up the chimney and on to the next rooftop.
I slammed into the next rooftop and fell down the chimney and rolled into the room.

Blew my now running nose on a sock and dumped what was in my bag on the floor.

Damn cheapskates had nothing out for Santa who was now starving.

So, I loaded another bowl and went into the kitchen and found a bag of corn chips and a brick of velveeta cheese.

Grabbed a large plate and dumped the chips on it, nuked the cheese and poured on top.

Went back into the living room sat down on the couch and watched the tree lights twinkle for the next few hours.
Fuck it. Next year I am only going to Denver!

Status
Not open for further replies.