PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

damacene

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
I am doubtful about some of the tastes that reviewers sometimes report. It's a fact that our sensation of taste has a range of temperature at which it is most sensitive. Outside of the range taste sensation falls off. Pipe smoke in the mouth comes in very warm and you're not getting much of anything besides registering "yep...I'm detecting tobacco..." and not, "a chocolaty sweetness with caramel and a lemony overtone..."

I sip water when I am sipping my pipe to cool the palate. It's in the aftertaste where I might experience a sensation of tasting something besides tobacco. It's nice when it happens. Sometimes all I taste is tobacco. "Yes, this blend has a certain tobacco-ie tobacconess with overtones of tobacco laced with tobacco."

So "smokiness?" Well... duh,.. you inhaled a mouthful of smoke. What did you expect?

Other times I can taste other tastes, hopefully pleasant ones. The best is the aftertaste after putting the pipe away that tastes like how the blend smells. That can be quite pleasant. :)
Give it a little more time. What you want is to taste the oils which are vaporizing off of the tobacco rather than the smoke. The slower and cooler you smoke, the more of those flavors you are going to get.

About 99.8% of the bowls of tobacco I smoke are Latakia blends, usually MM965 but I rotate in Gaslight, Charing Cross, Odyssey, Abingdon, Captain Earl's etc. There's a lot more flavor to latakia than just smokiness. I get a definite creamy chocolate/espresso flavor that I also get from stouts and porters.

thomasw

Lifer
Dec 5, 2016
The tastes vary a bit for me according to what other tobaccos are in the mix; but the dominant trait on my palate is leather. I know that's more a scent correlation, yet it is best my vocabulary affords me...