Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
@bullet08 I agree. To me its not that smokey. It smells crazy smokey so I think that word is used. I think it translates into something different when smoked. Like described in many post, Floral, creamy, some sweetness, leather and mustiness. I love it when its right. Its also amazing as a subtle condiment.
I quite agree. In some blends, it is just awful. This thread encouraged me to open a jar of very old Latakia Flake the Palm Desert Tobacco had on hand before the owner closed up shop and retired. I suspect that the flake is Syrian and for that reason held back on opening it. Now mind you, it has aged for many years - but I agree that words such as creamy, mildly smoky, and sweet do come to mind. I have quite a bit of this and I am glad I opened it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
To me it tastes smokey, Irish sod smokey. Not tire fire smokey, not hickory smoke or charcoal or mesquite. Nor, campfire smokey, pine, alder birch etc. All our palates are different which is why I usually don't answer such posts. For me only my palate is relevant.

And, as a rule from my younger days, I've not tasted any animal feces. So, yes it may have a manure taste but, I've no reference. You guys who eat/taste manure are a special breed indeed! bdw

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Smell and taste are intimately related, especially with something rich like latakia. I don't think taste and smell can be separated in that case.

I remember my very first latakia was Comoys #11, a very latakia-forward blend. My first impression was a combination of smoke, old damp/musty leaves, shoe leather, and horse manure.

Reactions: mingc and JOHN72

Pipke

Lurker
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
I am doubtful about some of the tastes that reviewers sometimes report. It's a fact that our sensation of taste has a range of temperature at which it is most sensitive. Outside of the range taste sensation falls off. Pipe smoke in the mouth comes in very warm and you're not getting much of anything besides registering "yep...I'm detecting tobacco..." and not, "a chocolaty sweetness with caramel and a lemony overtone..."

I sip water when I am sipping my pipe to cool the palate. It's in the aftertaste where I might experience a sensation of tasting something besides tobacco. It's nice when it happens. Sometimes all I taste is tobacco. "Yes, this blend has a certain tobacco-ie tobacconess with overtones of tobacco laced with tobacco."

So "smokiness?" Well... duh,.. you inhaled a mouthful of smoke. What did you expect?

Other times I can taste other tastes, hopefully pleasant ones. The best is the aftertaste after putting the pipe away that tastes like how the blend smells. That can be quite pleasant. :)

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
When I say charred or burnt chocolate, I mean cavendish, it's the sensation when I smoke Mississippi Mud. Then there is C&D Byzantium, it smells like mule manure and damp, musty, old clothes. I love both of them. Although my tobacco of this type that I love the most is C&D Pirate Kake, it is one of my great favorites.View attachment 329933
Juan, is that Moorish Mule Manure or Spanish Mule Manure. I understand there might be a difference?

Pipke

Lurker
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
I have always been fairly averse to Latakia despite my best intentions ...in the past couple years though I have developed quite a taste for Plumcake as well as Early Morning Pipe.
My favorite blends as a new smoker are all English or Balkan blends. All have Latakia as an ingredient. Nightcap, Quiet Nights, SPC Plumcake... I must like the taste of Latakia. Maybe it's the smokiness.