Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
To me the whole thing about smoky does not hit home. It sure smells that way unlit but I find it very to be very floral in taste with a cream quality. FWIW I do like it. Lat is in some measure in about half of what I smoke. Sometimes only lightly. I smoke a heavy lat around 25-30 percent of the time.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I want to point out that I am talking about latakia blends. Since I have not tried latakia alone. The closest has been Mississippi Mud, which has cavendish and a bit of perique. In agreement with what has been said here. My nose tells me, barbecue, leather, earth, mule manure, charred chocolate, a touch of musty dampness. However, I still like it, it's a change of pace, which sometimes feels good. Especially in the cold season. Since in summer time, I find it more uncomfortable to smoke it. In final conclusion, latakia is barbecue, earthy, smoked, some leather.

Last edited:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I'll always remember the first Latakia blend I had mailed to me in bulk from Pipes and Cigars. It arrived in a box with a few other blends, and I could smell it before I opened the bag. I laughed my ass off at the smell as I sat there at my computer table and checked the contents of my package.
The stench filled the room even before I had put a match to a bowl!
When I smoked that first bowl, I was surprised at the flavor, and the relative coolness with which it burned.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
To me it tastes like what (I think) it is: tobacco saturated with the smokes of smoldering highly resinous herbs and conifers. For me it’s very different from the hardwood smoke of true Kentucky dark fired, which reminds me of southern bbq, and it’s different too from the old world dark fired, which is more camp fire-y.