PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I had a bunch of small bowled pipes like the Briarworks OR01, which hold pretty much exactly a cigarette's worth of tobacco. Problem is, I like to clean my pipes after every smoke, and going through all that for a short bowl feels a bit silly. So, I don't use them that often, and would really rather leisurely enjoy a larger bowl.

To work around this, I'll either do without and wait until I have enough time to properly enjoy a normal-sized pipe, or I'll break out the briar Denicotea cigarette holder and roll a 79mm "paper pipe".

1626363391627.png

I smoke them the same way I smoke any of my actual pipes, and the saddle bit feels like a pipe in my mouth. They last about as long as a cigarette, and I clean the holder at the end of the day.

If I have a bit more time, I like cigarillos. My man purse usually has a few Liga Privada No. 9 and T52 coronets in a Boveda humidor bag, and a Xikar ash can just to keep things tidy. (I also use it for pipe ash.)

Whiskey

Lurker
Jul 13, 2021
KCMO
Then dry your tobacco more or don't drool down the airway.

Many folk have reported over the years that it's just fine to restart a pipe (when it's not funky nor gross!), and to do so several times with the same load.

Further: Some find it even better, and have called it "Delayed Gratification".
I got halfway through a bowl last night, and got it a little too warm. Went to bed and forgot about it. Finished that bowl an hour ago and I found it just as good as when I started it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Then dry your tobacco more or don't drool down the airway.

Many folk have reported over the years that it's just fine to restart a pipe (when it's not funky nor gross!), and to do so several times with the same load.

Further: Some find it even better, and have called it "Delayed Gratification".
oh I know and personally I find the tobacco worse not better at that point and it's got nothing to do with moisture. If anything it taste ashy to me. It's not an over the top thing either. It's more a note that while in the back ground is just enough to make it noticeably worthwhile to just dump the tobacco and start offer.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think 5 minutes for a pipe is unconstitutional. I understand the need for shorter, less lingering, less contemplative, reaches for some soothing Lady N in times of bad weather, and to that end I might do as others in this surprisingly long list of responders have said and use a small bowled pipe and a strong Nic blend.
Typically a burley, or Picayune. Big 'n Burley, 5 Bros, and a Mizzou, Eaton, Pony Express or Huck Finn MM cob.

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
There are tobaccos I like that have so much nicotine that five minutes is all I can take. They often don't relight well. I use small bowls with reusable clay... what, biscuits? at the bottom of the bowl to take up space. There are similar products that are granular, like meerschaum kitty litter, but are not reusable. I top with a centimeter of he-man plug or rope and smoke maybe half of that. Yes, I'm a nic-wuss.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
As others have mentioned, if I don't have at least half an hour or so to enjoy my pipe, I probably won't fill it in the first place. I got into Swedish Snus for that reason and it's been great during work. Ettan is the brand I use most often, it tastes like a classic American burley tobacco blend.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
From Wikipedia; after a description of kiseru pipes etc.

The word "kiseru" today is more commonly used to refer to the practice of defrauding the railway system by buying two cheap tickets to get past the entrance and exit gates while not paying for the distance between them. This is likened to a kiseru as there is only metal at the ends, and nothing in the middle, a metaphor indicating that money (metal) only covers the beginning and end

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
When I don't have a lot of time. A Molina Peppino, a straight cob for less time, and basically a cigarette break sort time Missouri Meerschaum makes a tiny wood pipe 4$ that reminds me of the bubble pipes for kids in the 80's. Those and bubblegum cigarettes with powder that smoked. Can u imagine giving that to a child now! You would be put in jail.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
It’s sad those toys became “evil”. My brother and I grew up loving those candy smokes and toy pipes and he never once picked up a cig and to this day doesn’t smoke anything meanwhile I’m a chimney.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I was 12 when Ghostbusters came out. We used to pretend we smoked. First cig at 14. Should they be to blame? Free country, free will. Maybe some influence. If I am the ahole to pick it up n get addicted it's my own choice. I love trainspotting, never did heroin and never will.

Reactions: Charlie718
Status
Not open for further replies.