Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I tried Philt pads and the Meer equivalent for awhile in my Meers primarily for the purpose of accelerating the coloring. They did smoke drier but would clog up after awhile and even be difficult to remove. No more.

Reactions: tklee and ashauler

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
I tried Philt pads and the Meer equivalent for awhile in my Meers primarily for the purpose of accelerating the coloring. They did smoke drier but would clog up after awhile and even be difficult to remove. No more.
I don't know if this will help or not.... It seems to me that the Turks are better sculptures than pipe makers. They tend to put the attention on how the pipe looks more than how it smokes. Now, meerschaum is, in itself, a great pipe material and will smoke great... if used properly.

That said, the point is this. I've encountered quite a few meerschaums that smoked wet. Why? Because the draft hole is too small in diameter. Using a drill bit by hand "gently" drill the hole a little larger. p.s. be sure you don't drill through the bowl. puffy

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't know if this will help or not.... It seems to me that the Turks are better sculptures than pipe makers. They tend to put the attention on how the pipe looks more than how it smokes. Now, meerschaum is, in itself, a great pipe material and will smoke great... if used properly.

That said, the point is this. I've encountered quite a few meerschaums that smoked wet. Why? Because the draft hole is too small in diameter. Using a drill bit by hand "gently" drill the hole a little larger. p.s. be sure you don't drill through the bowl. puffy
I had them drill the pipes to 4 mm before they shipped. They don't smoke wet at all.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
Also, is it just me? The stem work appears to be done by a blind man with seven fingers, who’s not sure what they’re supposed to be ultimately. Good for him, we all need work Lol
You ain't wrong brother. I've spent quite a few hours trying to rework the stems of some meerschaums.

As a side note.... Most of the meerschaums I have and smoke are not the result of my buying them new. I got them as parts of collections I bought. I don't know about today (haven't kept up with it) but years ago used meerschaums were not worth very much so I just kept them. Glad I did because they are all great smokers puffy

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I think part of the issue is that Turkish carvers have a monopoly on Turkish meerschaum. It can’t be exported, unless it’s fashioned into an object. It doesn’t really matter what quality the stem is, or the airway for that matter. Because if you want the pipe there’s no other place to buy it. I’m sure somebody out there specializes in re-engineering meers, I just don’t know who.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
I think part of the issue is that Turkish carvers have a monopoly on Turkish meerschaum. It can’t be exported, unless it’s fashioned into an object. It doesn’t really matter what quality the stem is, or the airway for that matter. Because if you want the pipe there’s no other place to buy it. I’m sure somebody out there specializes in re-engineering meers, I just don’t know who.
Good point! Fortunately meerschaum is rather soft and can be worked easily. Opening up a draft hole is no problem. As to the stem, if you can't do it yourself you need to good stem repair guy. I had a couple I was able to straighten and redrill, then bent again and they did smoke better. puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That said, the point is this. I've encountered quite a few meerschaums that smoked wet. Why? Because the draft hole is too small in diameter. Using a drill bit by hand "gently" drill the hole a little larger. p.s. be sure you don't drill through the bowl.

Because if you want the pipe there’s no other place to buy it.
Most of mine came from shops in the US with wide open draws, very comfortable stems, and not a wet smoker in the bunch.

20211101_020431.jpg20211101_020459.jpg

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
No, lol. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I mean the country of Turkey. After a certain point in history, there is no such thing as a meer carved elsewhere. This is because the law in Turkey banned the export of block meerschaum. I’m not even sure if it’s possible for companies to commission batches made for their name, bc nobody does it that I’m aware of. It may just be too much of hassle, or too costly.

There used to be ones made all over Europe, but no more. I know Peterson for one, was making African block models. But it’s not the same quality block. I saw Chris Morgan had some blocks listed on his sight at some point, but God only knows where he got them.

Reactions: tklee

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Title edited, caps, and to give the subject. -jpm

Ok so I get a lot of dottle in my pipes so have been recommended to try these little mesh balls.

Anyone had any experience with them?
I have the same situation too, i was about to post this question, great that I saw ur post :) . I even check my ashes when i knock it off to my ash tray, and see how much dottle i've left ?. Am I the only one doing it? ??

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I have the same situation too, i was about to post this question, great that I saw ur post :) . I even check my ashes when i knock it off to my ash tray, and see how much dottle i've left ?. Am I the only one doing it? ??
I wouldn’t let it get you down lol. Dottle happens.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Hi guys, like i said, I will look into the ash every time i knock it out ?. Is this considered good burn? Are the black color dottle look-like thing dottle? Or, are they suppose to be in ash form?

IMG_20220107_222311.jpg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
Hi guys, like i said, I will look into the ash every time i knock it out ?. Is this considered good burn? Are the black color dottle look-like thing dottle? Or, are they suppose to be in ash form?

View attachment 119776
Looks like a little unburned tobacco in the ash tray, so you could have done one more light and burned it. But, no worries, it's no biggie. Don't be obsessive about burning the vary last speck. Just enjoy. puffy

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Looks like a little unburned tobacco in the ash tray, so you could have done one more light and burned it. But, no worries, it's no biggie. Don't be obsessive about burning the vary last speck. Just enjoy. puffy
Mmm.... Ya, it's always when it come to the last speck, where there's already very less smoke, and my pipe becomes hot. I'm afraid if it get hotter, it will spoil my pipe ? . Note taken, and will try again. Thank you Searock Fan ??puffypuffy