PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
Title edited, caps, and to give the subject. -jpm

Ok so I get a lot of dottle in my pipes so have been recommended to try these little mesh balls.

Anyone had any experience with them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tklee

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Maybe you're packing too tight at the bottom of the bowl? When I started years ago I found a pamphlet from the 1940's that said the first third of the bowl should be packed like a baby, the middle third like a woman, and the top third like a man.

There are also Nørding Keystones, which I think are clay, which you put in the bottom of your pipe to soak up moisture. I've never used them, but here's info:

PS Those old pipe smoking pamphlets are fun. There is some site that has a bunch of them along with old catalogs. Wish I could list it here but can't find it readily.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Ok. First there needs to be made the obligatory reference to the habits of Sherlock Holmes on this issue.

In one story, Watson noted that Holmes’ first bowl of the day consisted of the leftover bits of dottle he’d knocked out and left on his mantle from the day before.

Aye. But surely mustn’t emulate all of the good inspector’s bad habits. Otherwise we’d become (even more?) misogynistic, cocaine-abusing violin players. And the world has had enough of coke and violins.

Secondly, a personal anecdote.

You’ve heard of people quitting cigarettes by filling a mason jar or soda bottle with some water and a week’s worth of butts. Then they open it, purposefully apply their olfactory sense, and find themselves so repulsed they never smoke again.

A few months ago I thought to myself, “Self, you have a wife and two daughters. Thus, you are broke. And not just broke. But broke in the most frustrating sense. For, ere you even make the next bit of money, a whole trove of clothes, Barbie dolls, and very expensive haircuts (which, incidentally, result in absolutely no discernible difference to your wife’s hair) have already laid claim to those funds. You should save where you can, and collect your bits of dottle in an old unused tin, then enjoy a mystery blend when the tin is filled.”

I replied, “Self, you really are a genius. A gentleman and a scholar. Well-endowed and Adonis-like in appearance. I’ll do it.”

(All lies.)

After about a week of doing this, I unscrewed the lid on said tin to add another plug. Well, that was a mistake. Unless you’re looking something called “Booty Blend,” I’d not recommend saving and stashing your dottle.

The end.

Mar 1, 2014
Ok so I get a lot of dottle in my pipes so have been recommended to try these little mesh balls.

Anyone had any experience with them?
I've tried them a few times and they work great, but for the price there are better options: https://www.amazon.com/Acurel-LLC-Economy-Activated-Pellets/dp/B000YIWT0M/
I fill the bottom of every pipe with Activated Charcoal pellets. At one point I cared enough to wash them off but now I just blow into the pipe after loading the charcoal to get rid of whatever loose dust there might be.

Mar 1, 2014
Ok. First there needs to be made the obligatory reference to the habits of Sherlock Holmes on this issue.

In one story, Watson noted that Holmes’ first bowl of the day consisted of the leftover bits of dottle he’d knocked out and left on his mantle from the day before.

Aye. But surely mustn’t emulate all of the good inspector’s bad habits. Otherwise we’d become (even more?) misogynistic, cocaine-abusing violin players. And the world has had enough of coke and violins.

Secondly, a personal anecdote.

You’ve heard of people quitting cigarettes by filling a mason jar or soda bottle with some water and a week’s worth of butts. Then they open it, purposefully apply their olfactory sense, and find themselves so repulsed they never smoke again.

A few months ago I thought to myself, “Self, you have a wife and two daughters. Thus, you are broke. And not just broke. But broke in the most frustrating sense. For, ere you even make the next bit of money, a whole trove of clothes, Barbie dolls, and very expensive haircuts (which, incidentally, result in absolutely no discernible difference to your wife’s hair) have already laid claim to those funds. You should save where you can, and collect your bits of dottle in an old unused tin, then enjoy a mystery blend when the tin is filled.”

I replied, “Self, you really are a genius. A gentleman and a scholar. Well-endowed and Adonis-like in appearance. I’ll do it.”

(All lies.)

After about a week of doing this, I unscrewed the lid on said tin to add another plug. Well, that was a mistake. Unless you’re looking something called “Booty Blend,” I’d not recommend saving and stashing your dottle.

The end.

I expect any tobacco left wet in a jar would spoil, dry it and then stove it in batches for good measure.
Not that I expect it to taste good when there's bound to be ash mixed in, but to at least make something smokable shouldn't be difficult.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Maybe you're packing too tight at the bottom of the bowl? When I started years ago I found a pamphlet from the 1940's that said the first third of the bowl should be packed like a baby, the middle third like a woman, and the top third like a man.

There are also Nørding Keystones, which I think are clay, which you put in the bottom of your pipe to soak up moisture. I've never used them, but here's info:

PS Those old pipe smoking pamphlets are fun. There is some site that has a bunch of them along with old catalogs. Wish I could list it here but can't find it readily.
or you can do what I do which has reduced my dottle tremendously. You gravity fill the pipe and only press the tobacco in the top third.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

The end.
I've wondered how the drying process of putting it on the mantle would effect the dottle.