PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Usually in the tin or jar, and dry the whole thing at once. Leave top open for x hours, cover for y hours, and measure the RH the next day. Repeat as necessary.
Values for x and y from a few hours to days, but usual is open all afternoon, close overnight, measure RH, and another go or two at it, and Bob's your uncle.
That's why I have around 30 bowl's worth of tobacco ready to smoke most times.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Usually in the tin or jar, and dry the whole thing at once. Leave top open for x hours, cover for y hours, and measure the RH the next day. Repeat as necessary.
Values for x and y from a few hours to days, but usual is open all afternoon, close overnight, measure RH, and another go or two at it, and Bob's your uncle.
That's why I have around 30 bowl's worth of tobacco ready to smoke most times.
In due time that is what happens to me also, a 50 gram tin can be opened for 3 months or longer if I take a hiatus of pipe smoking and smoke cigars more.

This is the first time I see someone talking about measuring RH of pipe tobacco. My question is, what is the ideal RH for pipe tobacco? Sure most may say "bone dry" "crispy" "it should crackle", but i'm a numbers guy and don't do "crispy". And how do you measure that? I would think a bluetooth RH meter to being measure it in a closed tin, but thats assumption, just as worse as deeming it ok being "crispy" to me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and seanv

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In due time that is what happens to me also, a 50 gram tin can be opened for 3 months or longer if I take a hiatus of pipe smoking and smoke cigars more.

This is the first time I see someone talking about measuring RH of pipe tobacco. My question is, what is the ideal RH for pipe tobacco? Sure most may say "bone dry" "crispy" "it should crackle", but i'm a numbers guy and don't do "crispy". And how do you measure that? I would think a bluetooth RH meter to being measure it in a closed tin, but thats assumption, just as worse as deeming it ok being "crispy" to me.

I use a small $5.00 hygrometer available on Amazon. Placing it in a jar or bag is the only way I can measure a freshly opened tin, as there's not enough room to seal the device inside the tin.

Ideal RH? I guess it varies from about 75% for shag cuts, to 55-60% for flake, ropes or plugs.

Reactions: DanWil84