PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
When I was a kid my parents liked to go to antique stores and would drag my brothers and me along. I saw this tin on one of those trips and thought that it was hilarious (honestly, I still do), so I had to have it. While it has served a variety of purposes over the years, I recently decided that it's next use would be as an upgrade from the magazine page I was using for drying tobacco. And less likely to get knocked over and spill the tobacco. Shown here with some Pease Spark Plug which definitely needs drying time.IMG_8678.jpgIMG_8679.jpg

I just dry the whole damn tin or jar. This saves time from having to do it one bowl at a time. I will just set the tin or jar on a coffee warmer and leave it overnight. Then I cap it, and let stand for another 24 hours, and this will allow the moisture remaining to spread back out, making it more consistent. Then, I just load from the tin or jar without all of this waiting around between bowls.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
North Carolina has a pottery district down near the state zoo, a town called Seaboard, which is interesting because it is in no way coastal. It has dozens of potters' studios and kilns, and over the years I have accumulated quite a bit of their work, including two pottery bowls I used to dry and sometimes mix blends of tobacco. They give the process a touch of art and tradition.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
This pic would of been a nice addition to our Big Foot thread a couple of months ago.

Here it is if anyone is interested.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I bought this at SmokingPipes and not only use it for drying, but also for packing a pipe and filling mason jars.
I have a Joseph Joseph mini folding chopping board that I use in much the same way. One of my better pipe related purchases!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon