PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
One holds sawzall blades, one has pen refills. The rest got thrown away over time. I buy bulk these days, and have been for many years now.

Reactions: Steddy

jakesmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Michigan
Keep the ones that I like, use some for tacks, nails and misc things. Decorate the walls.

I aim to do more with this. I really like what @jttnk has going on.

View attachment 223600

First 3 years, I kept all of my empty tins but I ran out of space and threw them all away (3 large trash bags), many of which are no longer made so I regretted throwing them out, so now I just keep one of each blend, no duplicates
I used the labels to make a piece of fun wall art.
View attachment 223598
cigar bands tool!
View attachment 223599
Those are awesome!

• Love
Reactions: jttnk and hawky454

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
I reseal them and re-store them in a cool dry place. I am very intrigued by re-aged empty tin notes. Especially with aromatics!
I’ve also thought (thought) about repackaging the tins of sought after blends with Sutliff bulk offerings and putting them on TinBids. It’s only a thought, and thoughts are only illegal in about 20 states of America at this point. Not sure if I’m in one of the 20. I’ll check with the Guardian.
Plus, it’s probably going to the far east and they don’t have access to the hard to come by, hoarded Esoterica Sutliff blends anywhos. So really I’m thinking of becoming a tobacco martyr (for profit) for the peoples republic of the worlds!

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I find that the round 2 & 4 oz tins with the screw top will keep tobacco moist for a long time, so I may use a few for medium-term storage of bulk tobacco purchases instead of mason jars.
Otherwise, they're great for paper clips, tacks, screws, nuts and bolts, drill bits, etc.

Reactions: yanoJL and Steddy
After building a barn out of them, I started building a pyramid, but them I ran out of land... so, now I will mix paints in them while painting, and then just toss them when the paint dries. The C&D and GLP tins are the best for this, because the seal on the lids is so air tight that the paint doesn't dry out as fast. The flat tins are better for water colors that can still be used when they dry. I just add more water. Then I find myself going, "I need more of that sky blue, where did I put that Erinmore?"

NightSkyFlash

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2023
Chicago, IL
Keep the ones that I like, use some for tacks, nails and misc things. Decorate the walls.

I aim to do more with this. I really like what @jttnk has going on.

View attachment 223600

First 3 years, I kept all of my empty tins but I ran out of space and threw them all away (3 large trash bags), many of which are no longer made so I regretted throwing them out, so now I just keep one of each blend, no duplicates.
This is a cool idea.

Reactions: hawky454

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Most go in the recycling bin, but a few others get reused or repurposed. I got a 8oz tin of Haunted Bookshop that I use to hold my pipe cleaners, and I got some Boswell tins I use to hold some basic office supplies (e.g. tacks, paperclips, etc.).

I was humoring the idea of making some sort of wall art with some of my favorite blends' tins, but most tin art is pretty plain and uninspired, sadly. So, I mostly scrapped that idea for the time being.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a good quality scrapbook and carefully preserved all of the labels in it. Some of the art is wonderful, and others are entirely plain Jane, but it would be a fine collection. For me, that's water under the damn, and I doubt I'll start midstream here, but if someone else is starting out, that's a good idea.

The tins are useful for screws, nails, bolts and fittings, if they are large enough for your particular collection. Otherwise, I'd take pains to properly recycle them, since there is a lot of useful metal that can be constructively recycled, in our poor faltering world. Even if you were an environmental non-believer, it is a simple act of thrift and efficiency.

Reactions: Mortamyhr