PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
After a couple of disappointments on my search for some cigars that would kick my ass (namely the Todas Las Dias Thick Lonsdale), I think I have a winner. 601 La Bomba toro. I can't really judge the spice level since it's ny 2nd cigar, but it is certainly strong in flavor and aroma, and it's putting me into a bit of a nicotine trance. It's a bit gimmicky with pigtail fuse and all, but the I am impressed given it just arrived from an 8 day UPS trip.

20200902_212252.jpg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Tatuaje Miami/Brown/Seleccion del Cazador/Cabinet Especiales. I wonder if they tone down the blend in this size vs the others in the line. I certainly recall the Unicos and Noellas being punchier, though it could just be me. View attachment 41482
Absolutely. If memory serves, this was THE original Tatuaje and was blended (as evidenced by the ripoff logo) to be a Nicaraguan copy of the Cuban Montecristo Especiales. As I'm sure you know, most Havanas are milder than cigars rolled in other countries, at least these days. This was back when they had pretty amazing Corojo wrappers grown in Nicaragua and Jose Pepin Garcia was operating El Rey de los Habanos out of Miami (before his QC fell off, personal opinion). The other original Tatuaje vitolas (the rest of the HUNTER series) followed shortly after and were much more Nicaraguan with that punchy ligero.

Montecristo Especiales are a treat, even for someone like me who typically does not like the Montecristo blend in other vitolas. I once asked Pete Johnson why and if they wouldn't bring back even a limited release with the Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper and he was pretty short - just said it wouldn't happen and clammed up after that. Don't know what all went on, but if you find yourself confronted with OR Tatuaje, OR Vegas Cubanas or some of the other El Rey de los Habanos blends, take a jump. Mine are long gone, but I bet they've aged a treat.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Absolutely. If memory serves, this was THE original Tatuaje and was blended (as evidenced by the ripoff logo) to be a Nicaraguan copy of the Cuban Montecristo Especiales. As I'm sure you know, most Havanas are milder than cigars rolled in other countries, at least these days. This was back when they had pretty amazing Corojo wrappers grown in Nicaragua and Jose Pepin Garcia was operating El Rey de los Habanos out of Miami (before his QC fell off, personal opinion). The other original Tatuaje vitolas (the rest of the HUNTER series) followed shortly after and were much more Nicaraguan with that punchy ligero.

Montecristo Especiales are a treat, even for someone like me who typically does not like the Montecristo blend in other vitolas. I once asked Pete Johnson why and if they wouldn't bring back even a limited release with the Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper and he was pretty short - just said it wouldn't happen and clammed up after that. Don't know what all went on, but if you find yourself confronted with OR Tatuaje, OR Vegas Cubanas or some of the other El Rey de los Habanos blends, take a jump. Mine are long gone, but I bet they've aged a treat.
Interesting. I have always been under the impression that the Red/Havana VI line underwent a wrapper change that modified the cigars for the worse. As you mention, I remember it having a Nicaraguan wrapper where it's now listed as Ecuador. It was my favorite Tatuaje for many years. I've basically written it off at this point. The Brown/Miami still tastes pretty full in most sizes but the Especiales is medium at most. I've also noticed less spice in a number of MF-made cigars recently, which could just be my palate or perhaps recent crops from their farms have been a bit milder. Most are still quite good, luckily.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Interesting. I have always been under the impression that the Red/Havana VI line underwent a wrapper change that modified the cigars for the worse. As you mention, I remember it having a Nicaraguan wrapper where it's now listed as Ecuador. It was my favorite Tatuaje for many years. I've basically written it off at this point. The Brown/Miami still tastes pretty full in most sizes but the Especiales is medium at most. I've also noticed less spice in a number of MF-made cigars recently, which could just be my palate or perhaps recent crops from their farms have been a bit milder. Most are still quite good, luckily.

Old news now, but I think they had a few years of tobacco saved back. I have read people wiser than myself pointing to this as the beginning of the end for Superstar Pepín.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Came home from a long assed shift only to have my middle child waiting up for me with chemistry assignments. Shit, I didn't have anything like this crap when I had it back in HS. It's all college grade shit written by a fucking sadist.

Recuperating with a A Flores Serie Privada CAPA Habano.

IMG_20200904_012007204.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Illusione Ultra Op. #8. I am interested in comparing cigars that come both round and box-pressed (like the Ultras) because I've heard it suggested that there's a big difference in how each version smokes, but I have never noticed much of one, myself. I think it's mainly just a difference in style and personal preference. I prefer rounds, but it doesn't really matter that much to me.

20200904_181601.jpg

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Illusione Ultra Op. #8. I am interested in comparing cigars that come both round and box-pressed (like the Ultras) because I've heard it suggested that there's a big difference in how each version smokes, but I have never noticed much of one, myself. I think it's mainly just a difference in style and personal preference. I prefer rounds, but it doesn't really matter that much to me.

View attachment 41869
I also don't notice a flavor difference between round and pressed. I prefer round just because it fits better in my mouth, and I usually get more burn issues with a box pressed. Nothing too crazy, but it's something I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.