PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Aw man! I was so hoping I didn't jinx you.
I've had similar things happen with other Cameroon cigars, but this was pretty extreme. It smoked pretty well, considering, and it really was quite good. But it detracts from the experience and gives me an anxiety case when there's something that catastrophic going on... Like I keep expecting it to become unsmokable.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
I've had similar things happen with other Cameroon cigars, but this was pretty extreme. It smoked pretty well, considering, and it really was quite good. But it detracts from the experience and gives me an anxiety case when there's something that catastrophic going on... Like I keep expecting it to become unsmokable.

Was it a hot day? I had a Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic do that to me last summer. I took it out of my big cooler/humidor, which is in the 65 degree basement, out onto the 90+ degree deck for a relaxing smoke. Well, the thing basically exploded, I was still able to smoke it, but it was a mess!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Was it a hot day? I had a Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic do that to me last summer. I took it out of my big cooler/humidor, which is in the 65 degree basement, out onto the 90+ degree deck for a relaxing smoke. Well, the thing basically exploded, I was still able to smoke it, but it was a mess!
Warm for the Bay Area, but not too bad (~87). It had just arrived in the mail so it probably had gone through a lot of changing conditions in a short period of time, though. I also wonder if box-pressing has an effect. I have had problems with Cameroon Fuentes, but it seems less common and they tend to be round.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
AJF New World Cameroon... I did nothing to deserve this wrapper disintegration (often times I do!). Hopefully the rest of my 5 pack performs better because I think the flavor is quite good and the price is right.

View attachment 32756

Just smoked one of these (and still have another) last week. I’m a bit of a Cameroon connoisseur so I always pick one up if it’s new to me.
I liked that it was box pressed.. not common among Cameroons. I found the flavor to be lacking though. It wasn’t BAD, just one dimensional and rather bland.
A shame they tend to be fragile. Did yours dry out a bit?

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Stars must not have been aligned this morning -- whether it was the cigars themselves, the palate, or the weather, who knows, but rejected 2 in a row. First the Chateau Fuente Maduro (I love the sungrown), which tasted charred and harsh without any of that Broadleaf earthy sweetness, and I tossed after a few minutes. Then a La Aurora 107 corona, which had a pleasant-enough aroma but a (sungrown) wrapper that tasted sour and peculiar in the mouth, and I tossed at the halfway point. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.