PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Earlier had a Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 (Machito), one of my favorites and always great construction, draw and flavor, but so rich and intense that I need to save them for particular days. The kind of stick I like to have a few of on hand, not necessarily a box of. So later I wanted something a bit sweeter and mellower, and enjoyed a delightful, reliable (though very delicately wrapped) ERDM Demi-Tasse. I love those.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Herrera Esteli Robusto Extra
angPeKO.jpg

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I'm looking for something for New Years eve and tried a small Ramon Allones last night after buying three from seeing good reviews

Was a bit disappointed with the draw (even after trying to open it up a bit) and working through that in the first third spoiled the overall smoke for me, really liked the flavour and it went well with a coffee but the effort needed for the draw gives it a thumbs down, so it looks like it’ll have be a Partagas or a Romeo for Hogmanay but I'd still recommend trying the above

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I'm looking for something for New Years eve and tried a small Ramon Allones last night after buying three from seeing good reviews

View attachment 13944

Was a bit disappointed with the draw (even after trying to open it up a bit) and working through that in the first third spoiled the overall smoke for me, really liked the flavour and it went well with a coffee but the effort needed for the draw gives it a thumbs down, so it looks like it’ll have be a Partagas or a Romeo for Hogmanay but I'd still recommend trying the above

I'm in the same boat, unfortunately, TinCup -- bought a box of RA SCCs after reading all the hype and have found the first few so plugged that it's like trying to draw blood from a stone. About half-spongy, half-solid. I think the flavor is there but I'll be damned if it's worth the effort. I get a bit frustrated by the inconsistency of CCs from batch to batch.

Reactions: TinCup and python

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I'm in the same boat, unfortunately, TinCup -- bought a box of RA SCCs after reading all the hype and have found the first few so plugged that it's like trying to draw blood from a stone. About half-spongy, half-solid. I think the flavor is there but I'll be damned if it's worth the effort. I get a bit frustrated by the inconsistency of CCs from batch to batch.

Yeah if I'm paying around $15 for what is essentially a fairly basic cigar I shouldn't have any fight on my hands to enjoy it

Reactions: python and odobenus

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
La Gloria Cubana 'Gloria Petit' -- not a particularly festive or celebration-worthy cigar, for they are ugly little buggers with shameful-looking wrappers, and their taste is decidedly uncomplicated, but when it comes to reliable flavor, burn and draw, I rate these Gen. Tobacco cheapos as high as (or higher than) many other comparably puny NCCs (and machine-made CCs). Certainly, in my opinion, a way better, more consistent cigarillo/small panetela than the pitiable Joya Black Boat, the Camacho Machito, the Liga Coronet, or the Punch Slim Panatella.
I really like the LGC Glorias (petit coronas) too. Wish I'd had the chance to try some back when EPC was at the helm.
Happy New Year, all!

Status
Not open for further replies.