PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
also, a good smoke is when it reminds you why you enjoy it and brings you back to that personnal connection to it :)
true story

Reactions: JOHN72

Brig

Lurker
Jun 23, 2024
New England
I think atmosphere defines a good smoke.

I smoke while I work around the yard, but those are more absent-minded smokes.

My 3 favorite smoking situations are probably:

1. Reclining back in the field under the stars after a long day in the field/in theater and bullshitting with the boys, usually over a cup of field-brewed coffee. Bonus points if the Aurora is overhead.

2. Sitting on the back porch with a cocktail in the evening, looking over the water.

3. Sitting out in said water in the kayak as the snow falls, in the absolute silence.

Reactions: mpjetset and JOHN72

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
For me a good smoke is one with pleasant and strongly evident flavors (I'm not much a fan of subtlety), a nicotine content substantial enough that I don't find myself reaching for a cigarette after the pipe is done, and a smooth retrohale that doesn't sting my sinuses or make my throat feel scratchy.

"Substantial nicotine content" and "smooth retrohale" are two features that don't often go together, so I'm still hunting about for blends that deliver the kind of smoke I want, but lately I've been smoking quite a bit of Nightcap and Old Dark Fired and enjoying them both immensely. I've got some Peterson Irish Flake and Royal Yacht, S.G. 1792 Flake, G.H. Kendal Dark and Coniston Cut Plug, War Horse Bar, and C&D Kelly's Coin on the way to try next.puffy

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont much care about nicotine one way or another. Just give me a flavorful smoke in peace.

The best smokes are when I pick the right tobacco and pipe for the right time. When all the boxes get checked its all good.

Reactions: Uguccione

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
How often do you have a bowl which could be defined a good smoke?
About 50% of the time. I know, it's a low percentage but I have great difficulty finding tobaccos that don't make me regret a good cigar. Then sometimes I create absurd mixtures and this doesn't help.
So why do I insist on smoking a pipe? Because I am in love with the object, the briar one obviously. It was my first love (cigars came later) and I don't feel like abandoning it, in fact, I continue to buy more.