PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jagsdriver

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Vancouver Island BC
How often do you have a bowl which could be defined a good smoke?
If you're one of those who smoke more than 5 bowls a day, is it just a habit?
I think that any experienced pipe smoker rarely has a poor smoke. Given the mood, the weather, the environment, you could have an exceptional smoke. Some knowing me may be surprised but I do not smoke everyday. Also my tobacco enjoyment is divided 50 5o with some great cigars.

Reactions: sonas

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
1-2 bowls per day here.
I’d say 90% of my smokes are “good smokes”. It tastes good, it’s dry, no irritation, and I don’t get knocked in the nuts with nicotine.
When a bad smoke happens it’s usually because I’m too speedy and/or aggressive which isn’t often. This can lead to all the “good smoke” qualities reversing; it tastes flat or boring, it’s wet and my tongue gets bitten/irritated.

mpjetset

Might Stick Around
I smoke 10-15 bowls a day when i'm not actively on a job site SNIP
That is a lot! How do you do it? I picture a brace of pipes in a weathered old leather cross-chest sling, and a sling pouch on the other side with tobacco pouches, lighters, cleaners and NO tamper since you do that with a calloused fingertip. Am I close?_56528a1d-784b-4d04-bb1a-1bc6832c94cf.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

sonas

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Thanks to all of those active members of the forum as I can already see there is a wealth of knowledge here!

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
A good smoke is anything that is not a bad smoke. A bad smoke is trying to smoke outside in a category 5 hurricane. That is not fun. Smoking your pipe while being hollared at near any sign that has a cigarette with a red line though it. Yes that includes pipes apparently even though you nicely explained that sign only applies to cigarettes. Another bad time to smoke a pipe is while being handcuffed face down in the dirt because you got a little testy trying to explain the sign.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is a lot! How do you do it? I picture a brace of pipes in a weathered old leather cross-chest sling, and a sling pouch on the other side with tobacco pouches, lighters, cleaners and NO tamper since you do that with a calloused fingertip. Am I close?View attachment 317445
No need for all of that, just refill the pipe. I tend to smoke the same pipe multiple times per day often for weeks at a time before switching. I carry the pipe and lighter in shirt pockets.

Reactions: JOHN72

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Most of mine are good smokes as defined by me. The reason is simple. If it's not, I'll dump it out and stop. Maybe try again with something else, maybe try again later. By smoking a pipe is supposed to be an enjoyable pursuit. If it's not enjoyable, I might as well light up a Camel instead.