PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You need to send some of these to Marven Shanken and the boys at Cigar Aficionado Mag for a blind taste.
Looking really good.
Was wondering how much control you have over the approximate ring gauge when you roll them @jvnshr , I assume it's by feel, how tight you want to roll it, your own preference.Or would it be more or less upto a mould?

Not by any means, I am an expert, just a hobbyist I would say. There are people who had been growing their own tobacco, processing it and rolling cigars. The leaves I buy are readily available online for purchase. The recent one I smoked is from a blending kit. But thanks for the kind words.

I have no mold at the moment. Whenever I want to roll one, I grab a commercial cigar from my humidor, check the dimensions and feel it in my hand. After that I check the guide below:

uIob4bd.jpg

It was shared by a fellow cigar roller on another forum. I usually use 3 Tripa leaves, so my cigars are somewhere between 41-44 ring gauges, sometimes even bigger. If you have a mold, you just roll the cigar and let the mold take care of everything, and you get a better looking cigar in the end. If you are not using a mold, then you have to roll something with a decent construction and draw. You may also wrap a paper around the bunch and let it sit for 15 minutes, that's what I do all the time. Paper also sucks the extra moisture from the bunch.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Last night after dinner I had a Man O' War Armada Toro Grande. I knew nothing about the cigar as it came in a "cigar of the month club" subscription the gf gave me last year for Xmas. Turned out to be a very nice smoke. Complex, fairly powerful but still refined and great construction. A nice way to conclude the day.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Arturo Fuente Chateau Sun Grown
l4V0stjl.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
About to go smoke a Leaf Sumatra. I nearly got kicked out of the cigar shop when I told the salesman that I hadn't tried one yet because they seemed a bit gimmicky to me. Let's see what judging a book by its cover gets me.
What'd you think? It is definitely gimmicky, but I've found that they back it all up with a pretty good smoke.

Now smoking a Tatuaje Frank Redux1 with some Salvadorian espresso.

20211025_182325.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
What'd you think? It is definitely gimmicky, but I've found that they back it all up with a pretty good smoke.

Now smoking a Tatuaje Frank Redux1 with some Salvadorian espresso.

View attachment 105018
You summed it up well. It smoked nicely with only a little attention to correcting the burn. Great stick for the price and a bit of a gimmick to stand out from the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.