PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Earlier today...
pAivPIF.jpg

How was it? I have very limited experience with Candela wrappers but I really liked the Illusione CG:4 I had the other day. Made me want to try some others.
It was quite good. I like the Candela Wrappers as a stock smoke. I am very happy to smoke this occasionally. The point is thought - This is the only candela wrapped cigar I have ever tried.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It was quite good. I like the Candela Wrappers as a stock smoke. I am very happy to smoke this occasionally. The point is thought - This is the only candela wrapped cigar I have ever tried.
Yeah, the only other ones I've had were the LFD Double Claro and a few others that use Candela as an accent wrapper like the Black Label Green Hornet. The LFD version was quite a mild smoke, so I was pleasantly surprised that the Illusione mixed the sweetness of the Candela with the oomph and spice of the Nicaraguan binder and filler. It is a very unique and pleasant combination.

I'll have to grab a 5er of the Indian Tabacs when I get a chance. Thanks!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
In my drinking days I drank a bottle of rye, amazed what a difference switching the base grain from wheat to rye made. Can't say liked it, can't say I didn't, but I appreciated the wild ride.
I liked rye. And bourbon. And pretty much everything else. About the only booze I didn’t care for was vodka. And tequila. Never was crazy about straight tequila. Mezcal was a whole ‘mother story though.
That said, I was always underwhelmed when I paired anything distilled with a cigar. The alcohol always numbed my palate a bit so I couldn’t really taste the tobacco as well as I’d have liked.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
In my drinking days I drank a bottle of rye, amazed what a difference switching the base grain from wheat to rye made. Can't say liked it, can't say I didn't, but I appreciated the wild ride.
There are sweet ryes (like Bulleit Rye) and Pennsylvania-style spicy ryes (like Old Overholt). Brands like Willett have innovated and produce some of the best ryes IMO, with their x-year ryes offering more herbal, dilly takes on this famous style. Even within the rye whiskey circle, there is a lot of variation that lends itself to a wild ride. I will say I do not care for Pennsylvania rye as I like my spirits with a little sweetness.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I liked rye. And bourbon. And pretty much everything else. About the only booze I didn’t care for was vodka. And tequila. Never was crazy about straight tequila. Mezcal was a whole ‘mother story though.
That said, I was always underwhelmed when I paired anything distilled with a cigar. The alcohol always numbed my palate a bit so I couldn’t really taste the tobacco as well as I’d have liked.
Try a dry rum (or rhum) such as those made in Cuba or an ex-French colony such as Haiti (Barbancourt is a favorite at our house). Rhum Agricole is a fine accompaniment to a complex cigar as it doesn't eclipse the flavor profile.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's one thing to have great chops for alcohol and quite another to become an addict, and if you're approaching the line you're drinking way too much and don't know you're in trouble until you are.

It happened to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.