jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
One of the last cigars I smoked was a Don Carlos Lancero and that is one of the best cigars ever produced. If you can ever find one grab it as is one of the finest cigars out there. My other favorite is a Cuban Partagas Conniseur no. 1 and a Trinidad Fundadores. I smoked mostly thin cigars as I prefer smoking cigars that have a high wrapper to filler ratio.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
8ZMoiGJ.jpg
on the deck earlier...
xqZRGnY.jpg

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
It's the Queen's Birthday (not her actual b'day - just a random day chosen by some bureaucrat) long weekend in Oz. Being a monarchist, I'm lighting up a 1996 Partagas Lusitania with a tot of old Cuban rum (raised in old Oloroso casks in Jerez, Spain).

Long may she reign.View attachment 84269View attachment 84270
Wow, just wow.. ?
What a pairing, that sure beats my 6 year old Bundy rum lol ??
I can't stop looking at this post, reading the label ?
I hope the weather was kind and you had no interruptions whilst you enjoyed that combination ?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Brendan,
Lovely afternoon - nice and warm with no wind.
I often rant at the poor and disappointing rolling of Cuban cigars, but no problems with this stick. Even burn all the way down with no need to relight or even up the burn. Benefitted from the aging - smoothing out the rough edges Partagas can have when young. Just needed a couple of “purges” past the 2/3 mark.
The rum is up there in the top 3 of the 50+ rums I have.
Magical pairing

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Excellent, I’ve all but given up on Cubans at the moment although I think I will invest in some of the Lusitania’s and similar flagship cigars from other brands to age long term whilst I enjoy my pipe/s. The oldest in my humidor is a RyJ Churchill from 2009.

Will save them for certain milestones down the line.
Glad to hear the weather and cigar were very well behaved:)

50 plus rums :oops: I’ve only just gotten back into rum lately, but I think just like pipe tobacco I have fallen in love again:LOL:.

Cheers to her majesty ?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had a lunch and cigar afternoon last week with a few members of the cigar club and someone brought in 2 sticks of recently rolled Lusitania. One was hopelessly plugged. It’s very upsetting when that happens.
I was very lucky with this cabinet of Lusis - every stick so far has been exemplary

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's the Queen's Birthday (not her actual b'day - just a random day chosen by some bureaucrat) long weekend in Oz. Being a monarchist, I'm lighting up a 1996 Partagas Lusitania with a tot of old Cuban rum (raised in old Oloroso casks in Jerez, Spain).

Long may she reign.View attachment 84269View attachment 84270
It's liquor such as this that makes me yearn intensely, but momentarily, for being able to drink. What a magnificent beverage! The closest I got to this was when I was a waiter at night and was able to very quickly down shots of Apple Calvados and Remy Martin VSOP. But the history and fermentation of this rum would seem to be far beyond either.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I went through a rum phase a few years ago. What began as curiosity (over what was the best spirit to drink with cigars) became a slight obsession. A largish collection of rum, cognac and whisky is the result.

Members with PAD and/or TAD will understand ?
I don’t drink anymore, but I was always kind of envious of guys that could drink distilled beverages with their cigar. It always kind of numbed my palate to the tobacco, to the point that I could’ve been smoking almost any cigar without any distinguishing characteristics. Kind of like it just became a “generic cigar taste.”

Status
Not open for further replies.