PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Do you find the narrow(er) ring gauge cigars are more flavorful than the fatsos?
Yes, sort of. The flavor is more concentrated in the smoke, IMO, but there is less smoke per puff. Kind of like the difference between a small sip of espresso vs a healthy gulp of drip coffee, though probably less dramatic. I have always felt that medium ring gauges (like 42-48) deliver the best compromises between flavor and smoke volume, though that is just a generalization.

Really, at least part of the appeal for me is the way they look. That Tabernacle is not the best example (a bit bumpy, but it smoked flawlessly), but I have always felt they look so elegant, and deftly rolled. I know some people are self-conscious smoking them, but not me, not even when I was way overweight.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes, sort of. The flavor is more concentrated in the smoke, IMO, but there is less smoke per puff. Kind of like the difference between a small sip of espresso vs a healthy gulp of drip coffee, though probably less dramatic. I have always felt that medium ring gauges (like 42-48) deliver the best compromises between flavor and smoke volume, though that is just a generalization.

Really, at least part of the appeal for me is the way they look. That Tabernacle is not the best example (a bit bumpy, but it smoked flawlessly), but I have always felt they look so elegant, and deftly rolled. I know some people are self-conscious smoking them, but not me, not even when I was way overweight.
I think long ass skinny cigars look pretty goofy. That’s why I don’t like to smoke them. Also seem to more often than not have a tight draw.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I always like the fatter ring gauge cigars better.

I do believe that the fact - “wrapper imparts 75% of the flavor” is a myth. (Does not make sense mathematically). If I take a cross section of a cigar, the volume of the binder / filler is significantly higher than the wrapper.
Bingo! The wrapper isn't some magical leaf that carries more flavor than filler tobacco - it's just a nearly-flawless leaf that makes good copy and pretties up the whole affair.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
After a Gourmet dinner of
time for a cigar and a bit of cognac...
aKbnuKd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.