PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Cafe Bustelo rules! I make it a little strong: 5 scoops/10 oz water.
I just bought a cheap moka pot on Amazon so I am using that. Still trying to figure out the extraction times, and when to pull it off the stove. First one was gnarly, almost like a ristretto shot. Second one I let go a bit longer and it was better for it. I also got some Illy beans to try.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I just bought a cheap moka pot on Amazon so I am using that. Still trying to figure out the extraction times, and when to pull it off the stove. First one was gnarly, almost like a ristretto shot. Second one I let go a bit longer and it was better for it. I also got some Illy beans to try.
For awhile I was very much of the independent ilk regarding coffee, roasting my own Sumatra in a hot air popcorn popper. Took ~90 minutes to roast a lb as I could only roast 3/8C at a time. And in the end store bought beans tasted much better. But I had to try and came away with the attitude of never again without a professional roaster with a larger capacity.

Professional roasters literally play with fires, with their huge roasters catching fire. Precarious business buying very expensive machines with little or no notice. I remember my local guy having to drive four hours to get time on a friend's roaster.

At any rate I too bought a Bialetti moka pot but gave up on it because of the results.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Its obvious that I don't know how the Europeans use this pot so much successfully. I think part of it is that they've habituated to a different style.
My first few brews haven't been particularly good. I am hoping I get better at it. May just stick with the French press if I don't.

Now smoking a Macanudo Inspirado Red toro.

20210420_135410.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My first few brews haven't been particularly good. I am hoping I get better at it. May just stick with the French press if I don't.

Now smoking a Macanudo Inspirado Red toro.

View attachment 76261
If you think of it, boiling/perking degrades coffee. You need hot water to pass through the ground beans, and that 's all you need. Perking is due to the boil. You just lost flavor.

Now it may be that moku pot people know how to manipulate that brew and get good moku flavor. I never did but apparently the Europeans do.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
If you think of it, boiling/perking degrades coffee. You need hot water to pass through the ground beans, and that 's all you need. Perking is due to the boil. You just lost flavor.

Now it may be that moku pot people know how to manipulate that brew and get good moku flavor. I never did but apparently the Europeans do.
We should ask for the guidance a native Spaniards or Italians ,they are true masters at using these pots,almost every household out there does have one of these devices

Status
Not open for further replies.