PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
You lucky dog. I've read those are amazing.
I only had one Goldie from a year I don't remember, but you could always try some of the other cigars made in that El Titan de Bronze Miami factory. Warped La Colmena and Don Reynaldo, and the Herrera Estelí Miami by Drew Estate are some others, I believe. The La Colmena is one of the better Connecticut (Ecuador) wrapped cigars that I've had.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I only had one Goldie from a year I don't remember, but you could always try some of the other cigars made in that El Titan de Bronze Miami factory. Warped La Colmena and Don Reynaldo, and the Herrera Estelí Miami by Drew Estate are some others, I believe. The La Colmena is one of the better Connecticut (Ecuador) wrapped cigars that I've had.
I haven't had any of those yet. I'll give them a try. Thanks.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I have quite a few Goldies rolled at El Titan de Bronze by Maria Sierra, those are very good IMO. La Palina is not what it once was for sure.
I tried a few Goldies from various years and there was a sour or bitter, acrid note that did not shake for the entire length of those cigars; I believe it was some sort of intentional counterpoint to offset the sweetness of the blend. I concluded that there is some leaf in there that did not agree with me, so I sold the few left I had. I know they are very well regarded.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I tried a few Goldies from various years and there was a sour or bitter, acrid note that did not shake for the entire length of those cigars; I believe it was some sort of intentional counterpoint to offset the sweetness of the blend. I concluded that there is some leaf in there that did not agree with me, so I sold the few left I had. I know they are very well regarded.
Now I have to smoke one for sure, yesterday I was coming off anesthesia and probably should have smoked a dog rocket. That Hit and Run I smoked started out tasting waaaay off but as I continued to smoke my palate reset and it turned out pretty decent. I opened the box of Goldies to look at them yesterday and the hand initialed/dated paper from Maria (RIP) was still there. That's a moment when you are looking at an artisan product produced with the greatest of care knowing they are gone. It's definitely art in my book.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
enKkFEB.jpg
One of these tonight..

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Received this Fuente Opus X Rosado Oscuro Oro Perfection No. 4 as a gift a long time ago. I hope you are having a good day.

View attachment 90245
What did you think about it? My understanding is this is Fuente's attempt to commercially release the old, ultra rare Opus Maduro.

Also, how did that La Palina Goldie treat you? I'm convinced I somehow received bad cigars across different releases. Either that, or I need a new palate.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
What did you think about it? My understanding is this is Fuente's attempt to commercially release the old, ultra rare Opus Maduro.

Also, how did that La Palina Goldie treat you? I'm convinced I somehow received bad cigars across different releases. Either that, or I need a new palate.
The Goldie was great. I do detect a bit of chalk but I get a lot of home made vanilla ice cream, grass flavor like the long stalks of grass you used to chew as a kid, sweet grass and cedar. I am trying to be objective and not say I like it because they are done. It had, as expected impeccable construction and draw. It was box worthy.

This Fuente is really rich tobacco and no pepper burn through the nose, creamy smooth. middle to strong strength which surprised me a bit . Very complementary to the coffee I'm having with it. I can see why they pull the price point.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I was gifted one of these from a dear friend on the forum. Tonight is the wife an my 30 wedding anniversary so fired it up...

THE FUENTE FUENTE OPUSX FAMILY OF CIGARS​

OgYTntA.jpg
Congrats and Happy Anniversary!

Now smoking a Herrera Estelí LE Lancero with a dry-processed/ natural Ethiopian Yirga Cheffe as the espresso.

16276968371857907768347317427528.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015

danimalia, Thanks Bro! 3rd wife and no one killed yet... rotf

Hey, man, statistically speaking, we're all more likely to be murdered by our spouses or other loved ones than anyone else ?

I'm still on wife number zero. I keep telling myself I want to do it right and find someone I want to really spend my life with, but really, it ain't like the ladies are lining up to be "the one" either :LOL:

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I was gifted one of these from a dear friend on the forum. Tonight is the wife an my 30 wedding anniversary so fired it up...

THE FUENTE FUENTE OPUSX FAMILY OF CIGARS​

OgYTntA.jpg

Congrats and good choice on the cigar! On the wife, well, here's to 30 more!

The Goldie was great. I do detect a bit of chalk but I get a lot of home made vanilla ice cream, grass flavor like the long stalks of grass you used to chew as a kid, sweet grass and cedar. I am trying to be objective and not say I like it because they are done. It had, as expected impeccable construction and draw. It was box worthy.

This Fuente is really rich tobacco and no pepper burn through the nose, creamy smooth. middle to strong strength which surprised me a bit . Very complementary to the coffee I'm having with it. I can see why they pull the price point.
I'm going to have to try another Goldie. They come up time to time on secondary and I've also seen new releases, though the last was a little large for my taste.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015

Isn't the Añejo line supposed to be the same binders and fillers as the Opus, but with the aged CT broadleaf wrapper instead of the Dominican? Personally, I think Añejo is solid, but doesn't really measure up to the Opus, or really taste all that similar, even accounting for the different wrapper... I actually think their core line maduros like the 858 are just as good as the Añejos.

Status
Not open for further replies.