PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Novelty cigar shaped like a baseball bat that I got as an extra in a trade. Getting it lit was interesting. Someone had punched a hole in the end cap, so I figured that and the orientation of the band suggested which end to light. I lit the knob end of the bat and it was sealed tight - I could not get it to smoke (no airflow). I clipped the end and tried again, but while this lit the inside of the cigar, I could not get the flame to ignite the flared ends of the knob. Once I cut the knob completely off, this reverse spliff started smoking and we were off to the races.

The construction leaves much to be desired - the wrapper continuously unraveled, and the poor bunching necessitated lots of relights. The flavor was basic Dominican oak and pepper, with some creaminess and sweeter, fruity notes joining for the last half. If you told me this was a La Flor Dominicana, I would believe you completely. As it is, I would try some other offerings from this company if they made something on the thinner side, but I would not purchase one of these baseball bats due to the poor construction.

IMG_20240929_094101732.jpg

Have you smoked Oliva cigars before Vandermarliere took over, you can see any differences at all? Same, better, or bad…

Thanks

P.S. Or anyone else to share, that’s been smoking Oliva a long time? 🤔
I did not know such an event happened. I have been smoking Oiiva Cigars from 5 years. I did not see any difference in 5 years

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Novelty cigar shaped like a baseball bat that I got as an extra in a trade. Getting it lit was interesting. Someone had punched a hole in the end cap, so I figured that and the orientation of the band suggested which end to light. I lit the knob end of the bat and it was sealed tight - I could not get it to smoke (no airflow). I clipped the end and tried again, but while this lit the inside of the cigar, I could not get the flame to ignite the flared ends of the knob. Once I cut the knob completely off, this reverse spliff started smoking and we were off to the races.

The construction leaves much to be desired - the wrapper continuously unraveled, and the poor bunching necessitated lots of relights. The flavor was basic Dominican oak and pepper, with some creaminess and sweeter, fruity notes joining for the last half. If you told me this was a La Flor Dominicana, I would believe you completely. As it is, I would try some other offerings from this company if they made something on the thinner side, but I would not purchase one of these baseball bats due to the poor construction.

View attachment 338790
It's a beautiful bat, though, really. Props to whomever rolled it. Well, sort of since it had some construction issues. I would have guessed knob would be the head, too.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Have you smoked Oliva cigars before Vandermarliere took over, you can see any differences at all? Same, better, or bad…

Thanks

I've been smoking Oliva for a while. Serie G was my first full box purchase back in 2007. I have not noticed any changes since they were bought. I also haven't smoked much of the G or O since then. I actually have a sampler coming in the mail, so I'll see what I think.

Illusione Core Documents Habano lancero. I think it's very good, as was the Churchill I had before. Lots of pepper spice up front, and then it settles into a creamy middle 3rd. There's an element that reminds me of a Hot Tamale (the candy, not the Latin American staple).

1000001124.jpg

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN

Thanks

I've only been smoking them for a couple years. I think they're good. A box of G Robusto or O No. 4 is in my future once these Micallef "a"' Petite Coronas run out

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Found a couple Oliva G Maduros buried in a box of random singles. I vaguely remember buying a handful of these from the CI store in Hamburg PA. Last time I was there was around 2015/2016. I'm getting a little wood, a little coffee, a little mustiness, a little nuttiness, a bit of dark fruit, some general tobacco sweetness, and at the midpoint a sudden blast of heavy brown sugar, which was really nice. Edit: It just started giving me some nice milk chocolate. This thing is way better than I remember them being.

Unknown.jpeg