PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
michaeljordanpipe.jpg

I don't know if Jordan is a regular pipeist, but he does enjoy cigars. That pipe looks small, but keep in mind he's a HUGE guy.
Costner with the Devil Anse role sparked a lot of interest here, but mainly cause of the pipe. He smoked one in JFK, as well.
@zekest: Obama Senior smoked a pipe. Get this pic on the networks, stat!
barack10.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ok, drop Hillary, at least for guys -- she's got tremendous pull among women, even many who don't subscribe to

her politics. It's odd what moves people, not always who you'd think. People respond to a certain amount of

authority or experience as much, or sometimes more than, a jazzy young hip person. Like, Oprah would move

a lot of women. Maya Angelou would rock a lot of academics and intellectual folks. Drew Barrymore might now

have the seniority to move some younger women. Any of the living former first ladies. Maggie Smith. Judy

Dench.
For guys maybe Leno, Letterman, John Stewart or Colbert, more out of familiarity (for their audiences) than respect

per se. Any of the various generations of Saturday Night Live castes. Jerry Seinfeld. The Big Bang Theory actors,

for the nerd-hip-nonconformity folks. The Apple, Microsoft, and other silicon CEO's could pull people into piping

and play down their image as billionaire sharks (although that has a certain illusive charm, the shark image, among

many who aspire).
Lots of possibilities here, people. Probably none of these click with many of you, but there's room to explore.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
+1 for Robert Downey Jr...But only while he's got the goatee on.

+1 for George Clooney.
And 2 more offerings that are a bit off the beaten path...

- Seth Rogen

- Dennis Haysbert (The Allstate guy, with that deep raspy voice)

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Harrison Ford

Liam Neeson

Denzel Washington

Will Smith - looked good smoking a cigar in Independence Day, so I think he could make the change

Sean Connery - didn't he smoke a pipe in the beginning of 007 movies?

Robert Downey Jr.
Diane Keaton (Annie Hall) - the more I think about it, she would be my first choice.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Although I have to say I could totally see Zack Galifianakis smoking a pipe but I don't think he would have any impact on pipe sales.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Unfortunately, all of these names are wishful thinking although fun. If any of these well known and respected people ever took up smoking a pipe they would most likely lose fans. However, if these same celebrities were seen smoking cigarettes in the magazines (People, US or any other fan magazine) or on-line the men would probably be better off smoking a pipe.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Nice picture of Sean Connery, he also ages well.

This is a woman's point of view.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It would take a plethora of celebrities all in concert to have any affect on getting people to take up the pipe. They would have to make a pipe smoking movie starring the days biggest celebs to make a dent. It took Tom Cruise and Paul Newman and the movie the Color of Money to make playing pool popular again. There was a boom because of the movie and the industry grew incredibly fast because of it. The same kind of thing would have to happen if pipes were to become more popular.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Good point Harris.
Also I have to add that as seeing how difficult it is to obtain some tobacco's would we really want it to be that much more popular?

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
I think Ron Paul should smoke a pipe...
+1 Perique that would be awesome. I would say Sean Connery but that photo already exists, unfortunately I think if modern celebrities started pipe smoking all it would cause is a quick spike in sales and go right back to what it is at. I think it would just have a Lord of the Rings effect and while yes we did get some new permanent smokers from the movie, we also saw a quick surge in churchwardens and then its over. I'm not trying to be negative, but more realistic, plus I don't think I can picture modern celebrities with pipes.

~Ron

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Or, The Princess the Duchess of Cornwall, who recently gave birth to George, third in line to the British throne. She gained beaucoup media attention when in the recent past she was photographed topless!! LOL

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@peterpiper, ha ha I stand corrected - wrong Royal! lol And I agree - CPB not likely an attractive proposition!! LOL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Huck Finn smoked a cob. Tom Brokaw might move some briar. Yeah, Diane Keaton is good, maybe Sally Fields.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Bradley Cooper. He's considered unconventional, but still has appeal to the young.
For girls, Alyson Hannigan would be good. And for that matter Neil Patrick Harris. lol

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Yall have missed the most obvious choice.
Morgan Freeman, all he would have to do is a how to pack a pipe voice over.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Apparently Morgan Freeman also has a movie in which he is shown smoking, lighting, false lighting, and tamping pipes... The Big Bounce
004TBB_Owen_Wilson_024.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.