Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Got an Easton Press copy of "The Scarlet Letter" for Christmas and am just now getting the plastic off and having time to read it.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Our recently formed chapter of Nero Wolfe enthusiasts is reading the Rex Stout novels and stories in order. We are now reading and discussing the fourth novel, The Red Box. It's quite a bit of fun to reread these wonderfully literate detective stories. And so, I'm halfway through this one.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Great choice, Dino. I never tire of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. I’ve read the entire corpus several times. Ditto Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin novels. Each series features absorbing and believable characters inhabiting fully envisioned worlds.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
If you like English detective stories, I recommend a new guy: Peter Grainger.

DC Smith is a fascinating character. This series of books is best enjoyed in chronological order.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
9780425053126.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Never been the biggest book reader. Just couldn't quite get the hang of being still long enough to read anything more than utterly necessary to get through all of my education. Always had a hard time with it unless I was really into it. I find myself to be a fantasy or history type of fan. Made it through Elie Wiesel's "Night" in one day, while in high school. It's only about 100 pages long, but had me with every word. Since then, not too much. Tried The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, just too difficult to sit for it.
Strangely enough, I got drawn into the Harry Potter series and I read a little of a few pages. I think I'm going to start there and see where I get. Bought the whole series and will read it at my leisure, once I finish reupholstering my wing back arm chair.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Memphis Belle - Dispelling The Myths

Graham Simmons & Harry Friedman
An attempt to provide a complete factual background regarding the missions, bond tour and post-war life of arguably the most famous B-17 of WWII. I acquired my copy May 17, 2018 at the WPAFB Air Museum commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the Memphis Belle's last mission. Mine is signed/dated by the authors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Russian Roulette" by Isikoff and Corn, investigative reporting on the Russians activities in the U.S. 2016 elections. From other sources it seems this goes well back in modern history, and the Russians approached Adlai Stevenson, JFK, and Lyndon Johnson offering support, were firmly rebuffed in all instances, but still were active meddling. This is just what they do. They don't care which party, they want to get into the process. A number of other countries do this too, as has the U.S. in other countries.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Supreme Injustice by Alan Dershowitz ( written when Dershowitz had an acceptable perception of events surrounding the hijacking of the 2000 Presidential election by SCOTUS. )

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I usually have several books going that I read at any particular time, and switch among them according to mood. I’m currently reading ‘Napoleon: A Life’ by Andrew Roberts, ‘Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance’ by Pirsig (it’s been many years since I last read this one), and some small engine repair manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.