PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Right now I’m currently reading Tikki Tikki Tembo, it’s a classic! A bit hard to read but totally worth the effort. A lot of good life lessons in there. :puffy:

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Wow, a bunch of intellectuals in this place. I feel like a moron reading my cheap fiction
Nothing wrong with reading cheap fiction. I've just started 'The Blackpool Highflyer'; a 'Jim Stringer steam detective' story by Andrew Martin. Combines two of my favourite things; detective stories and steam trains - doesn't feature much pipe smoking although there is the occasional mention in some of the books in the series.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
ahh. Famous Five brings back childhood memories. When I was aged about 5 or 6, every evening at bedtime I would read something to my mum (probably one of Enid Blyton's books for much younger children, or Rupert Bear) and then she would read me a story from by "big brother's" collection; almost certainly Famous Five etc.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Finally after years of attempting it - I have conquered Moby Dick by Melville. I can deal with overt descriptions, but the amount of chapters dedicated to supportive information and not the plot was killer. A fair amount of pipe references though.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Your Mother's Not a Virgin
the autobiography of John Barbour...a magnificent storyteller...beginning with his tragically insane childhood in Canada, followed by a very unusual career in TV and Hollywood...and countless stories of the machinations of the entertainment industry over the last several decades, including his relationships with many of the biggest names.
An interesting and funny story behind the title:
Barbour was probably the only person in the "media" who treated Jim Garrison with respect (which hurt Barbour's career greatly). Garrison asked Barbour his opinion on the following:
A poll at the time indicated that the majority of Americans did not believe the Warren Commission findings on the JFK murder...but at the same time another poll indicated that the majority of Americans did not want another investigation.
Garrison asked Barbour what he thought the reason was for this seeming contradiction. Barbour's answer was, because no one wants to know that their mother's not a virgin.
IMO, a keen insight into mass psychology.
https://www.amazon.com/Your-Mothers-Not-Virgin-Canadian/dp/1634242467/ref=sr_1_1?crid=11XRJ3GA2TN6T&keywords=john+barbour&qid=1563165262&s=books&sprefix=john+barb%2Caps%2C184&sr=1-1

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
I recently finished Schopenhauer's Studies in Pessimism. It certainly aligns with a lot of my ideas.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wanderers, Chuck Wendig. Just started, supposed to be similar but better than Kings "The Stand". So far, pretty intriguing.
9780399182105_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
yuda,
I like Schopenhauer as well.

Reading Schopenhauer, or about Schopenhauer, is both enlightening and amusing.

Personally I find pessimism more agreeable than optimism and his way of saying things is very 'cut to the chase' compared to other philosophers.
I don't know if philosophy is a subject suitable for forum discussions though.

Was thinking about starting a philosophy thread but thought it might get to close to politics and religion.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just finished Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac and Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Rearden (Or really by Frank Glaser) and Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut.
About to start Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond and take another trip through The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry.
Also have some Hunter S. Thompson in the shitter (Fear and Loathing in America). Always have three going, one living room, one bedroom, one shitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.